× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WiFi Issues with Nighthawk AX8

GStamatis
Follower

WiFi Issues with Nighthawk AX8

Hi All,

I recently bought a AX8 Router and it has WiFi issues both from a performance point of view as well as the 5ghz band not working and not being visible.

I have updated the firmware, disabled AX and it still doesnt work.

I use my ISP's Wireless router which using band steering and it works perfectly compared to the Nighhawk which is dissapointing.

Do I need to disable WiFi on the ISP router to allow the AX8 to be the default network? Or can I still have them both working?

Ironically both were working perfectly for about 2 weeks and then the AX8 stopped working. Considering the cost of the device it should be outperforming my ISP's router but at the moment it is performing poorly.

Im at a loss and need some help.

GStamatis

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: WiFi Issues with Nighthawk AX8

Hello GStamatis, 

Welcome to the community! Using two routers can cause some issues due to a double NAT (I've linked more info below). Please set your ISP modem/router/gateway to modem mode only. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

You may also get in contact with our support team as newly purchased devices are provided with 90 days of complimentary support which can be accessed by registering your router using the link below. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/default.aspx

Christian 

Message 2 of 8
Machu
Aspirant

I was having the same issue with wifi connection not being visible. I spoked with a tech and they had me turned off ofdma option and after that the wifi connection showed to all of my devices. It just sucks that i cant take advantage of the ofdma feature on this wifi 6 router.
Message 3 of 8
Claudio21
Initiate

I have the same exact issues and sadly have to agree that my cheaper ISP router is outperforming this AX8. However lately it just became worst and had to completely disconnected from my network. I am unfortunately out of warranty since I bought this router when it first came out 12/7/19. Is a shame that after spending $400+ this router appears to be useless. I have spent countless hours trying to troubleshoot it and reading threads of consumers having similar issues. I am in need of a new router and wondering if switching to the newer AX12 will solve my issues. But then again why spend all this money when I should just try another company like Asus 🤷🏻‍♂️
Message 4 of 8
Illusionist1
Aspirant

Re: WiFi Issues with Nighthawk AX8 8 stream

I have a Netgear Nighthawk AX8 8 Stream wifi 6 router (RAX30) AX6000. It has worked fine. They wanted me to purchase security which I didn't. I have already security. Net Gear's security expired. Service expired and now I have an issue where the 2.4 ghz wifi bulbs won't set. The Fiet app tells me that it cannot pick up the 2.4 ghz wave. Before the expirations it worked fine.Any help would be appreciated. By the way,the smart bulbs that were instaled are stillworking. I change the Fiet app.with no sucess.

@Christian_R wrote:

Hello GStamatis, 

Welcome to the community! Using two routers can cause some issues due to a double NAT (I've linked more info below). Please set your ISP modem/router/gateway to modem mode only. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

You may also get in contact with our support team as newly purchased devices are provided with 90 days of complimentary support which can be accessed by registering your router using the link below. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/default.aspx

Christian 

Message 5 of 8
KelvinGallo_NC
Initiate

Hi would highly recommend you do not purchase any of the Nighthawk routers moving forward. 

The AX8 router has been a complete waste of money for me and just has led to more problems. the support form nighthawk is horrible and they all know this router is junk. do you self a favor and say way from Netgear products. I lost about 350 bucks on this router.

all buyers be ware of Netgear NightHawk. 

Message 6 of 8
dvplaisted
Aspirant

Useing the Nighthawk app; all was going fine The I-MAC recognized the  AX8 and told me all connections were fine and I was connectded: then it tells me I am not connected to the internet. So I just unpluggerd the AX8 and reconnected my Linksys AC 3200, and all is back to normal.  Any help from you will be welcome.  Paid $350 for the AX8 and I am very dissapointed. I have the Geek Squzad comming next month: yet now I am not sure if I shopuld cancel the service call, as I kkeep seeing online so many people like me with the same problem.

Message 7 of 8
Larry101
Star

@Machu wrote:
I was having the same issue with wifi connection not being visible. I spoked with a tech and they had me turned off ofdma option and after that the wifi connection showed to all of my devices. It just sucks that i cant take advantage of the ofdma feature on this wifi 6 router.

Support told me to disable AX too. After it, all my devices connected to 2.4Ghz channel. I re-enable AX back.  I asked Support: You did not explain to me why I bought a WIFI 6 router and you don't want me to use the AX feature!!! Still waiting for an answer,

Model: Dual Band
Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7