× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WiFi cutting out

Bjwim71
Initiate

WiFi cutting out

Got a new router and my internet seems worse than with my old one. When it’s on it’s great but then I get random “cannot connect to the server” on the most random things. iPhone apps, Apple TV (that’s plugged directly into the router). It’s so inconsistent and usually when I refresh it usually comes back. I disabled the ax feature, which some said would resolve the issue (sad that I need to disable a new feature to get the thing to.... still not work). Firmware is updated and yes it’s a router issue. Never had the issue before I upgraded the router and when I plug the old one back in the issue goes away. Thoughts? Is there a fix?
Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13
schumaku
Guru

A moderator is kindly requested to move this post to the appropriate Nighthawk Routers With WiFi 6 (AX) section for better coverage.

Message 2 of 13

@Bjwim71 wrote:
Got a new router and my internet seems worse than with my old one.

How did you go about setting up the new router?

Did you just remove one and slap in a new one?

You might do better to reset everything on the network, including the modem, so that it forgets any assignations with the older kit.

Your wifi clients and networked PCs may also need an introduction to the new router.

Firmware is updated and yes it’s a router issue.

First, without knowing the number we do not know that the firmware really is the latest.

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

Second, I have seen many a "router issue" that turned out to be something very different. Again, I don't jump to conclusions.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router. The model number could be useful.

Message 3 of 13
Bjwim71
Initiate

RAX80. 

Modem was reset, and confirgured properly. That was the first thing I did. I reset the modem back to factory whenever i attach a new router.  Issues still persist. Firmware is 1.0.1.56. Has to be a router issue at this point. Like I said, any router I plug in works without interruption.

Message 4 of 13
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Bjwim71 - I'd like for support to get in contact with you for further assistance. Please send me a message with your contact info and serial number. 

~Christian 

Message 5 of 13
Goody224
Aspirant

My router is also cutting out.  Loosing WiFi about ever 8-10 min then comes back on.  I plug my old r7000 back in and everything is fine.  Using the cm1000 modem.  Everything has been reset several times.  But the router still interrupts the signal. 

Message 6 of 13
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Goody224, 

Would you mind answering the questions below to help us understand more: 

1. What firmware is the RAX80 currently on? 

2. When you lose WiFi, is it lost on all devices connect to the WiFi network? 

3. Have you gotten a chance to disable AX WiFi to see if your issue persists? 

-You may refer to page 94 of the user manual to disable AX WiFi: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RAX80/RAX80_UM_EN.pdf

Looking forward to hearing back from you

~Christian 

Message 7 of 13
todd1010
Apprentice

Mine is (I believe) the same as I've read here. Netgear tech support has downgraded my firmware and it fixed the issue where it would get 1GIG speeds when connected via wired line. But this was going on before and after the firmware downgrade. 

They've now escalated it to Level 3 engineering department in Taiwan. They remotely access my computer last night but I have no idea what they did, what they found out, ideas to fix the issue...nothing. 

If I don't get something straightened out within a few days, I'm going to have to take this thing back. I don't have time to pay $399 for a wireless router and still be a beta tester. 

Message 8 of 13
Goody224
Aspirant

Firmware v1.0.1.56_1.0.23, yes ax has been turn off for a while and still occurs, and yes all devices loose WiFi signal. 

Message 9 of 13
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Goody224, 

How often is the WiFi cutting out and would you be able to provide the LED status of the router when the WiFi cuts out? You may refer to page 11 of the user manual linked below for the LED descriptions.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RAX80/RAX80_UM_EN.pdf

~Christian 

Message 10 of 13
jorgef858
Aspirant

I'm having the same issues.  I'm at the same firmware.  I've replaced an old, but trusted Apple Extreme Router for a RAX80 to experience all these issues.  I've adjusted settings and still having the same issue of dropping my devices.  Even my hardwired devices cut as well. 

Firmware Version V1.0.1.56_1.0.23

Disabled AX

Message 11 of 13
gurgy
Initiate

Same issues with me, minus wired devices cutting out. My Galaxy s10+ (wifi 6 capable) will disconnect forcing me to turn phones wifi off and back on. Same with my Samsung smart tv right next to router. Youtube on it will lose all connectivity until i go into tv setting and check for a connection and re-establish connection... I'm returning the router today

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 12 of 13
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi jorgef858 & gurgy - Have you gotten a chance to contact our support team?

https://www.netgear.com/support/default.aspx

~Christian 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7