× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WiFi drops on AX8

Dukes707
Initiate

WiFi drops on AX8

So I have a new ax8 router and cm1100 cable modem hoping to make best use of my gig speed internet. All worked fine initially however now at this point my WiFi will only stay connected for at most 20-30 minutes then drops out for no reason. It seems to have only started with the last update. I have tried a factory reset already with no sustained effect. The one thing I have to do is every time it drops go to the router and unplug and replug the damned thing. The wired devices all work fine, however WiFi has no connection. I work from home and internet is essential to my work as is the mobility as I am doing my job and need to be able to move so a wired connection at all times is just not realistic.
I am truly disappointed cause I was optimistic about the new technology. Any thoughts are appreciated. I need this fixed now
Message 1 of 12
thinksinc
Apprentice

I have a RAX200 and am experiencing the same thing: I woke up this morning and my WiFi network was just gone: all my Echo devices throughout the house were complaining they weren't connected to the internet, my iPhone was back on LTE, etc.

I had to hard reset the router to get everything back.

This quality is unacceptable from Netgear, especially on a $600 device.

I'm giving them one firmware update to get things fixed at a basic, fundamental level. If there are continued issues after that, I'm returning it and going back to my previous router.

-R

Message 2 of 12
plemans
Guru

1. What firmware are you on? (the latest doesn't help) the RAX devices are a new AX standard and new chipset. I'd say the firmware is still a little beta as the AX spec was just certified recently. If a specific version is causing issues, I'd try rolling back the firmware to an earlier version to see if it helps. If you read other device makers forums, they've all been having issues with the rollout of AX.  

2. Are you using smart connect?

3. Are you running the AX mode enabled? some devices have had issues with AX and actually create the problems. One version of the firmware I was on crashed whenever my fire tv connected. Newer firmwares resolved this but other devices could still cause issues. 

4. What modem are you using?

5. Are you utilizing the DFS frequencies and possibly have a radar setup around you? It should change channels automatically but you could try switching to nondfs channels and see how it runs. 

Message 3 of 12
Streamlight5o
Aspirant

Having same issues with WiFi dropping off. Wired still works fine. Tried different channels and still the same. Tried calling support and hung up after 90mins. Using Firmware 1.0.1.64 don't know what else to do. I have geek squad coming Tuesday if they can't fix it I guess it goes back to store. Using Netgear CM1000-100nas for modem.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 4 of 12
GabboCH
Apprentice

Many users are reporting the same problems.

I performed a factory reset & disabled the AX functionality in the router & the connection was much more stable.

However, this doesnt seem to work for everyone & theres no comment of sign of a update/fix from Netgear.

Unless the geek squad are coming for free, I'd just take the router back & get a different one that works.

Message 5 of 12
Streamlight5o
Aspirant

I turned off AX. I will see how that works. I am thinking of getting the AX11000 if this one does not work. What are u using now
Message 6 of 12
GabboCH
Apprentice

The Asus is what I originally wanted but couldn't get anything with antennae like that past approval. The have some good deals on the twin pack.

At the moment I'm limping along with the Netgear & using Ethernet from my TVs direct to the modem.
My fallback is just the router from the internet provider which I've not had any problems with at all in the last 3 years.
Message 7 of 12
Streamlight5o
Aspirant

Well no drops since turning off AX. Sucks I was getting 800-900 Mbps on my Note 10. Now I can only get 450Mbps. (Still fast) I hope they fix the AX soon.
Message 8 of 12
GabboCH
Apprentice

I wouldn't hold your breath.
Nobody has even accepted that there is an issue yet...
Message 9 of 12
GabboCH
Apprentice

On my side, after a couple of days of stable performance following updating the firmware & a factory reset, I returned home today & the television & my mobiles wouldn't connect to the network...

Again constant connecting-disconnection-connection-disconnection..

A reboot from the nighthawk app & then a hard reset with the power button didn't resolve the problem.

Next I tried disabling QoS (uncheck WMM for both 2.4 & 5G) because I've seen some other posts that this isn't working correctly either.
As soon as I saved the settings & the router rebooted the connecting was stable again...

I'll leave it again for a while to see if this is really the cause & post back...
Message 10 of 12
GabboCH
Apprentice

Looks like I spoke too soon.
The engineering team are looking at the problems with the RAX80 according to the feedback in this thread.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/Rax80-smart-connect-issue-wifi-dro...

Will be interesting to hear more details...
Message 11 of 12
thinksinc
Apprentice

The best decision I've made was to return this unit to the store. There is absolutely no excusable reason for a $600 flagship router (I was using the TriBand) to require constant fiddling with basic settings, reboots, firmware updates, etc.

If the very basic functionality of a product (providing a wireless network) are not functioning consistently and reliably, it is clear that this product was not ready for market and was rushed through QA in an attempt to capture early WiFi-6 market share from competitors.

Maybe I'll try an AX router again in 6-12 months, but it won't be one from Netgear.

-R

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7