× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WiFi network

georgewade
Aspirant

WiFi network

Good evening all; I just successfully installed and registered my CM1150V modem router. I have internet and voice but I'm a little lost here as to connecting to WiFi. My pc has installed the device as network5. But I cannot find that when attempting to establish the WiFi connection. Can someone please tell what (if anything) I'm missing?

Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
RAXXXSTER
Initiate

It’s not a router. No wireless functionality. Great modem, but don’t expect much help with proper installation from Comcast during COVID. I’ve tried absolutely everything using this modem with the new Orbi RBR850 router (part of model no. RBK853), and after trying everything with tech support, I can pretty confidently say that this tech is as advertised and, if properly installed, is superior.

I’m running 850 download / 42 upload / 15 ping on the Orbi App from a distance of 20 feet from the router. It’s mind blowing, so don’t give up. If I see your post, I can answer a lot of questions, but first you need to get a suitable for this modem router.

RAXXXSTER
- CM1150V WiFi6 modem
- ORBI RBK853 WiFi6 whole home mesh
-3300 sq ft, 2-level, 50 yr old home

View solution in original post

Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice
Message 3 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

yep. You're missing the fact that the CM1150v is a modem and voice device. It isn't a router. It doesn't have wireless or routing functionality built into it. 

when you have a modem only device, you need to go 

modem------router-----devices. 

If you'd bought a combo device, then you'd have routing and wireless. 

Message 2 of 4
RAXXXSTER
Initiate

It’s not a router. No wireless functionality. Great modem, but don’t expect much help with proper installation from Comcast during COVID. I’ve tried absolutely everything using this modem with the new Orbi RBR850 router (part of model no. RBK853), and after trying everything with tech support, I can pretty confidently say that this tech is as advertised and, if properly installed, is superior.

I’m running 850 download / 42 upload / 15 ping on the Orbi App from a distance of 20 feet from the router. It’s mind blowing, so don’t give up. If I see your post, I can answer a lot of questions, but first you need to get a suitable for this modem router.

RAXXXSTER
- CM1150V WiFi6 modem
- ORBI RBK853 WiFi6 whole home mesh
-3300 sq ft, 2-level, 50 yr old home
Message 3 of 4
georgewade
Aspirant

Thank you both for your prompt response. I was able to figure out that this was indeed a stand-alone modem. But my local walmart had a Nighthawk AX4 AX3000 4 stream Wi-Fi router on clearance for $99. Less than 15 minutes after getting it back home I was up and running. The Xfinity tech had to come back and install a "sidecar"(?) to the modem in order for the security system to connect to my wifi. He also assured me I was light years ahead of the speed provided by their Arris device. And I'll get back my money in about a year without the lease fees.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7