× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wifi speeds much slower with new AX6000 router

Stoop411
Aspirant

Wifi speeds much slower with new AX6000 router

We have had Comcast come out to check our connections and they are good. When I use the night hawk app and test my internet Connection I'm getting around 471 down and 23 up speeds. When I do a speed test on my wifi (with my android phone wife's iPhone or a tablet) we are getting wifi speeds between 67 down and 9 up to 127 down and 13 up. I just bought my AX 6000 router yesterday and my new arris surfboard sb8200 modem the day before. What would cause my wifi to be slow compared to the internet speed coming into the house. It's not a big house and we use to have the 250 speed plan from Comcast and we were getting wifi speeds around the 200 up 23 down before we upgraded to the 400 plan. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Message 1 of 8
microchip8
Master

AX6000 is a speed indicator, not a model number. That would be AX8 and AX12. Which one do you have?

Also do you have AX turned on? If so, I suggest turning it off

Message 2 of 8
Stoop411
Aspirant

I have the AX8
Message 3 of 8
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Have you tried to adjust the wireless channel on the router?

https://kb.netgear.com/25182/Resolving-poor-5GHz-wireless-range-signal-from-my-NETGEAR-router

DarrenM

Message 4 of 8
E999
Guide

Had this same problem.    After 2 weeks of trying, just fixed it.  Although my computer is less then a year old and I update my drivers frequently, this had to be updated this way.

Click on network and internet settings.  Next click change adaptar options.  
Now, right click on your wireless adaptar and click properties.

Click confligure, then click driver.

Now click on update driver.

I have updated this driver manually in the past, but for some reason it needed to be updated this way.  

I have followed the instructions on all these sites regarding this problem and I feel, based on my experience, this is the solution to most of them.

Please post back so I know if this correct.

Good Luck!

If it works, please post.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 5 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@E999 That's well possible. What kind of wireless adapter are you talking of here, make, model, ... and which driver version?

Message 6 of 8
E999
Guide

Qualcomm QCA61x4A 802.11ac Wireless Adapter.

I updated the software on the dell website which didn't seem to work.  Then, when I update the driver the way mentioned above it fixed it.

Message 7 of 8
E999
Guide

Just realized, driver version 12.0.0.725.  Didn't put in previous post.  

Testing this throughout my house, I now believe the router problems a lot of people are having are due to wifi adapters on comps and laptops, not due to routers themselves.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7