× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Windows 10 driver for RAX40 is using Duel band wireless AC-7265

bigbarthy
Tutor

Windows 10 driver for RAX40 is using Duel band wireless AC-7265

I have a RAX40 and the internet speed on my wireless computer is very slow.  My wireless phone gets 250mbs and wireless computer getting 70mbs.  I looked at the device manager and it says Windows is using Intel Duel Base AC-7625 drive dated 2017.  Could this be correct?

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions

As @schumaku says Intel is probably the best source of the latest drivers for whatever unnamed wifi device you are using, and this has nothing to do with your router, no Windows drivers needed there.

I chip in only to suggest that an alternative might be the site where they support the motherboard or whatever device does your wifi. Intel is best, bit sometimes these kit makers dream up their own tweaks of the chipset makers firmware.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi bigbarthy, 

I would recommend checking out Windows website to confirm this. 

Christian 

Message 2 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Note: The drivers are for the adapter, not for the Netgear router.

The most easy way to keep the Intel drivers up2date does start here -> Intel® Driver & Support Assistant 

Alternatively, head to Intel -> Downloads for Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265  Don't be confused if the driver version for these elderly adapters is different from the kit. Also worth to know that diferent drivers must be deployed depending on the hardware revision -> Why Do I See a Different Wi-Fi Driver Version With My Intel® Wireless 7265 Family Adapters?  (Kit 20.x, Rev.D 19.x, Rev.C 18.x)

Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

FWIW: The Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 is a 802.11ac 2x2 adapter, max. PHY link speed is 876 Mb/s on 5 GHz.

Right click on the Windows (not the Intel) or go over the Settings to Network & Internet -> Status -> [Properties] ... scroll down to the properties again where you see a list starting with SSID, Protocol, ... there is information on the Band, Channel, and current TX-/RX-Link speed.  Once you have the current driver in place, and your Windows 10 system is near to the router and you still get low speed (assuming it's not on 2.4 GHz where your number from above was about right), chime back here and copy this information and paste to the community. Near to the router, you can expect link rates in the 867...650 Mb/s range, what does translate to some 450...350 Mb/s real world throughput.

Message 4 of 6

As @schumaku says Intel is probably the best source of the latest drivers for whatever unnamed wifi device you are using, and this has nothing to do with your router, no Windows drivers needed there.

I chip in only to suggest that an alternative might be the site where they support the motherboard or whatever device does your wifi. Intel is best, bit sometimes these kit makers dream up their own tweaks of the chipset makers firmware.

Message 5 of 6
bigbarthy
Tutor

I'd like to thank everyone for helping me out.  I was out of touch for a few days; sorry for the delay.  The suggestion for me to go to intel was the tip that got me to the solution there by downloading the assistant and ran it.  It checked all my intel drivers and that's where I found out the driver that was installed is the correct one and it is designed to work with many netgear products.  I rebooted everything and things appear to be working again.  The thing that was bothering me most was not knowing if I needed an updated driver; I don't.   Thank you guys:

@schumaku

michaelkenward (Guru)

Christian_R (NETGEAR Moderator)

All you guys are champions in my book!

Thanks much.

bigb

Model: TA612VSP|VoIP broadband voice adapter/router (Sipgate service provider)
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7