× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wired Lan Disconnects Randomly - Plug/UnPlug Ethernet at Router fixes it

Jin225
Aspirant

Wired Lan Disconnects Randomly - Plug/UnPlug Ethernet at Router fixes it

On my second week with the Nighthawk AX12 Router. Have experience this issue 3 times. 

The Wired Lan connection to the PC through the unmanged switch (TP-LINK TL-SG1024) would disconnect randomly. 

Windows would tell me "ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration" and nothing would fix it on the PC end. (I did everything from reseting ethernet adptor to uninstall driver, and reset all internet config). I even tried setting a fixed local IP to router. 

Even reseting the router did not work. The one thing that worked was unpluging and repluging in the enthernet cable at the back of the router (unpluging and repluging on the PC and swith end did not work either)  . 

• Can some one please explain to me why this is?
  • What is the root cause of Lan disconnect. 
  • And, why only unpluging and repluging in the enthernet cable at the router end fix this?

I have a month to return this router (Best Buy holiday return) if there is no fix. 

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Jin225, 

Welcome to the community! This may sound silly, but have you tried switching out the ethernet cable to see if the issue persists??

I'd also like to mention that if you recently purchased the device, your device is provided with 90 days of complimentary support with our support team. You can utilize your complimentary support by registering your device using the link below. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/default.aspx

Christian 

Message 2 of 7
Jin225
Aspirant

Yes tried that. Have new CAT7 cables.
Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

So just to get this right. you're going:

modem----RAX----switch----pc

is this correct?

What else is connected to the switch? Any of those devices having issues?

If you take the switch out of the equation and direct connect the pc to the RAX, do you still have the issues? 

Message 4 of 7
Jin225
Aspirant

That is correct.
I am unsure as to other devices that are wired in through the switch (I have 2 other Android TVs wired in did not check).

But those device that are wired in directly to the routers have IP and works.
Next time this happens I will check.
Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

@Jin225 wrote:
That is correct.
I am unsure as to other devices that are wired in through the switch (I have 2 other Android TVs wired in did not check).

But those device that are wired in directly to the routers have IP and works.
Next time this happens I will check.

Sounds like a plan. Whenever you're troubleshooting, its best to remove as many factors as possible that could be causing the issues. Thats why I'd said direct connect the pc to the router if possible. It makes sure the switch isn't the issue. let  us know how it goes!

Message 6 of 7
RajaDaja
Luminary

Hello,
Did you ever figure out the cause of the LAN disconnect issue? I experienced it with the RAX80 so I returned it and purchased RAX200 Everything was fine until I did a firmware update, now it to has random LAN disconnects....no good when gaming against others. Thanks
Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready, GS105|5 Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch, R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router, RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7