× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wired connection speed same as wireless speed

Vinixs
Aspirant

Wired connection speed same as wireless speed

So recently i purchased a Netgear Nighthawk RAX50 AX5400 looking to improve our connection speed for multiple devices. I'm not very knowledgable with networking but I was able to get the network setup. I'm trying to use an ARRIS NVG510 for the broadband connection to get the nighthawk online and working, but upon doing so experienced similar speeds we were getting before. I assume my issue is with the old router/modem we're using, but not entirely sure so I wanted to get some support before spending more money than needed. Here are the speeds I got from the tests, 

Wired:

Down - 3.32 mbps

Up - 0.42

Wireless:

Down - 3.34 mbps

Up - 0.41

Firmware Version: V1.0.2.66_2.0.42

Again, I'm not really experienced in networking but I do have some understanding from research. Thank you for taking the time to help!

Model: Dual Band
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

What speeds do you pay for? 

The ARRIS NVG510 is a dsl modem/router combo device.

Do you have it running in modem only mode, the netgear placed in access point mode, or the netgear in the arris's dmz?

otherwise you can be in a double nat. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

Something to keep in mind, if you're speeds are only 3mbps, most routers (even older wireless N routers) can max that speed out. You won't see a speed benefit from going to wireless AX since the router wasn't the bottleneck in speeds. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Do you have it running in modem only mode, the netgear placed in access point mode, or the netgear in the arris's dmz?

Something to keep in mind, if you're speeds are only 3mbps, most routers (even older wireless N routers) can max that speed out. You won't see a speed benefit from going to wireless AX since the router wasn't the bottleneck in speeds. 

Message 2 of 5
Vinixs
Aspirant

@plemans wrote:

As modem only mode, I assume you're talking about doing the ip passthrough steps and turning wifi off on the NVG510. I did happen to do that and was successful getting the netgear online and on it's own network, but the speeds are just slow, and a lot slower when more devices get added. As in putting the router in AP, I attempted this earlier but the internet light went orange afterwards and it wouldn't connect. Would you happen to know anything about getting this setup correctly? I'm hoping this is the issue and not my ISP, I'm not exactly sure what speeds we're paying for since my parents purchased the service a while back. If the ISP is the issue I'll be sure to look into getting a better plan, in the mean time I'm hoping successfully putting it in AP mode works out. Thanks for the quick response!

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

You were initially quoting a 3mbps speed. Again, it really doesn't matter how great of a router you have if your connection is only 3mbps. 

that's where the bottleneck is and the max its going to get. 

So check on that first. Its pointless to troubleshoot a router if its not the issue. 

Message 4 of 5
Vinixs
Aspirant

@plemans wrote:

You were initially quoting a 3mbps speed. Again, it really doesn't matter how great of a router you have if your connection is only 3mbps. 

that's where the bottleneck is and the max its going to get. 

So check on that first. Its pointless to troubleshoot a router if its not the issue. 

Appreciate it, I'll get in touch with my service prodivder and look into getting a new plan. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7