× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wireless speed expectations with RAX120

haniatassi
Follower

Wireless speed expectations with RAX120

I am not happy with the speeds i am getting and I am thinking there is something wrong with the router.  I have 1Gbps Internet and getting 900+ when teting in the router app.

Over 5G, and very close to the router I am getting only 400-700Mbps read on the laptop.

The speeds on 2.4G drops a lot (15 meter from the router) getting down to 30Mbps and sometimes only 10Mbps.

WMM is ON: Without it 5G speed drops to like ~40Mbps

Enable AX is ON

Enable 20/40 Coexistence is turned OFF

Set the channel to manual away from any different neibour channels.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
avtella
Prodigy

Re: Wireless speed expectations with RAX120

Performance also depends on your laptops’s WiFi card and antenna layout in the laptop. What WiFi card is in the laptop? Unless you have an Intel AX200, WiFi-6 features will be useless plus don’t expect more than 10-20 max performance gain with AX with any router. AX greatest benefit is in maintaining high throughput in multi AP environments like offices and some battery saving enhancements.

Note that a standard dual antenna WiFi card available in most laptops won’t give you more than 560-600 Mbps on HT80 on WiFi AC and not more than 800 or so Mbps on HT80 AX mode (If you have Intel AX200). If you want 900+ Mbps you need to enable HT160 MODE on the router and if your WiFi card supports HT160 you will get faster speeds.
Message 2 of 3

Re: Wireless speed expectations with RAX120

@haniatassi wrote:

Over 5G, and very close to the router I am getting only 400-700Mbps read on the laptop.

Many people would love those speeds. Does it slow you down when you do anything?

Out of interest, what speed would you expect?

Does this laptop get significantly faster speeds anywhere else?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7