× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Workaround for Circle with AX12 possible?

TheMcClaneShow
Aspirant

Workaround for Circle with AX12 possible?

I just bought the ax12 and misread somewhere that it had circle (which I am using now with my current r8000 and love)

What I am curious to know about because I am very green with this stuff is could I connect my ax12 in my house and bridge my R8000 off of it strickly to use with my kids devices which should then allow me to keep Circle. No idea if this will work, but extremly bummed the AX12 doesnt seem to have parently controls. Before I tear into it I just wanted to see if anyone could give me some advise on if my theory was a good one or if there was something I was missing. 

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router, RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Workaround for Circle with AX12 possible?

I have a feeling its in the works. Disney circle was just added to the RAX200 a couple months ago and that's their flagship single router solution. Usually the flagships get it and then it rolls down the product line. 

But what you could do is to go modem----R8000 (in router mode)-----RAX120 (in access point mode)

The RAX120 in access point modem would let the R8000 do all the routing functions (including disney circle). 

You could disable the wireless on the R8000 or you could leave it running as a backup. Just make sure if you leave it running to have the wireless channels seperated out on the r8000 from the RAX120 so they don't interfere with each other. 

Message 2 of 4
TheMcClaneShow
Aspirant

If I understand correctly, this would maintain the R8000 as the "router" which would remove the benefits of the Ax12 right? (I really hope that isnt a dumb question)

@plemans wrote:

I have a feeling its in the works. Disney circle was just added to the RAX200 a couple months ago and that's their flagship single router solution. Usually the flagships get it and then it rolls down the product line. 

But what you could do is to go modem----R8000 (in router mode)-----RAX120 (in access point mode)

The RAX120 in access point modem would let the R8000 do all the routing functions (including disney circle). 

You could disable the wireless on the R8000 or you could leave it running as a backup. Just make sure if you leave it running to have the wireless channels seperated out on the r8000 from the RAX120 so they don't interfere with each other. 

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

the benefits to Ax are in the wireless and concurrent broadcast capabilities. None of which get disabled in access point mode. It simply disables its dhcp server and leaves the other router controlling it. It'll work fine and you'll still have the benefits. 

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7