× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Xbox One X Can't Connect to Party On Nighthawk AX8

Xbox One X Can't Connect to Party On Nighthawk AX8

I purchased a Nighthawk AX8 earlier in the week and everything has been fine up until today where I cannot join any parties. The moment I try to connect to a party, not only does the Xbox One X disconnect from wireless, but so do any devices on the wireless network at that point in time. 

I've had Cox reset the modem and I've done factory resets on both the Xbox One X and Nighthawk AX8, the issue still persists. If this issue can't be resolved, I'm at the point where I'm going to return the router. 

Message 1 of 9
dmystic1
Apprentice

I was using an AX8 with three Xbox One's but did not experience this issue.

Message 2 of 9
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Have you done any port forwarding for the xbox?

DarrenM

Message 3 of 9

I don’t have port forwarding enabled.

I’ve enabled both IPv6 and UPnP and while the Xbox One X connects flawlessly, the moment I connect to a party is when it completely knocks the WiFi out.
Message 4 of 9
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Message 5 of 9
Donbossman
Aspirant

I’m having this exact same issue. Everything worked fine until the latest firmware. I can play Xbox live fine. The problem is with Xbox live parties. When I join or am invited to a party, it disconnects me from Xbox live and complete resets my home network. When I log back in i get a message saying my network is blocking party controls. My NAT is open and have ports open. I’ve had this router since launch and had no issue with it before. Now I can’t even enjoy it and plan on getting an asus router. Firmware has been a joke with Netgear as of late
Message 6 of 9

I ended up returning the Nighthawk AX8 to Best Buy and went back to my older Airport Time Capsule.

A few weeks after completing my return, I ended up purchasing the TP-Link AC5400 Tri Band Gaming Router during an Amazon Deal of the Day for $269. I’ve had zero issues with that router in the three months I’ve owned it.

Based upon my experience with the AX8, I will not be purchasing another Netgear product in the foreseeable future.
Message 7 of 9
Donbossman
Aspirant

I think I’m going to do this as well. My 7800 started the issues. Got the AX8 hoping Netgear’s new line of routers fixed those issues. Big $400 paper weight.
Message 8 of 9
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Donbossman, 

Have you gotten a chance to perform the suggestion of port forwarding DarrenM provided earlier? 

~Christian 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7