× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: are you losing your port forwarding settings?

craigscoffee
Tutor

are you losing your port forwarding settings?

I couldn't figure this problem out, and I see online that people have been complaining about it for almost a decade. 

As soon as I upgraded to the RAX80 I started having this issue where you would enter port forwarding settings, but the router would somehow lose them. Next time you'd log in, it was as if they were never there. Until you try to re-enter them... then it would give you an error that these settings are already in use, or something to that effect. 

I was about to contact Netgear, but it was more convenient to have my private IT guy look into it for me. He figured out that by disabling all loggging of router data, the router would retain the port forwarding settings. So if you're struggling with this issue, try disabling all data logging functions, and erase your log. Then see what happens. Comment here if this helped you!

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
Busaman
Aspirant

OMG, clearing the logs and rebooting the router worked and my port forwarding settings reappeared.  I will keep this post and try to note it that if the settings stay or disappear again after reboot or just over time.   Thanks again @craigscoffee 

Message 2 of 7
Busaman
Aspirant

Bad news, it was a temporary fix and the issue reappeared only after a few minutes.  I did another reboot and the port forwarding settings reappeared but I'm worried they'll just disappear when I log in at a later time.  So the fix is if you need to make changes to your port forwarding rules is to reboot, hopefully they show to make the necessary changes.

Message 3 of 7
craigscoffee
Tutor

You need to disable all logging functions, not just clear the logs and reboot. There's a long list of things to uncheck. Once it stops logging, it won't erase your PF settings. Netgear really needs to fix this. 

This fix has been working for me since I posted about it weeks ago. 

Message 4 of 7
Macmanlex
Aspirant

I am aving the exact same problem out of my RAX75 but this fix is not working.  Any updates on it?

Message 5 of 7
craigscoffee
Tutor

I'm sorry to hear this trick isn't working for you. It's been a while since I looked at this. Did you completely disable logging, delete current logs, and reboot? If so, there maybe another issue. 

Please respond to this thread if you find a different cause and solution. 

Message 6 of 7
Busaman
Aspirant

I still haven’t lost my port forwarding settings in a long time. I believe what I did was reset the router like new. Disable the logs and cleared any that are there before adding all the static IP and port forwarding rules. Hope this helps.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7