× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

compatibility of Seagate USB storage device

chichuen
Aspirant

compatibility of Seagate USB storage device

Trying to connect Seagate backup plus 5 TB portable to RAX120 - does not recognize this.  Of course this is not in the list of tested devices by Netgear but the list looks like older models.  My old Seagate flex wireless disk of 2 TB works fine but wanted to go to higher capacity.  Can anybody suggest a USB backup storage device with 4TB or higher that works with RAX120 UBS port?

Further, when i connect two USB devices, sometime it shows only one - when i connect individually, each one shows up but when both are connected, only one shows - is there something to be done to view this?

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
Lurksalot
Apprentice

Re: compatibility of Seagate USB storage device

I have two Seagate Backup Plus's connected to the RAX120 (FW V1.0.1.122) - see screenshot. 1) 4 TB and 2) 5TB. It took me a while to figure it out and it seems to work. When I disconnect/reconnect them to test they work consistently with no known issues.

I believe the trick is getting them fully formatted as NTFS. I flipped between exFAT (Quick Format) and NTFS (Quick Forat) and plugged them in each time, to no avail. My solution was to connect the Seagate Backup drive(s) to a Windows PC and righ-click on it, choose Format... unckeck 'Quick Format' and make sure NTFS (Default) is selected, hit Start. For the 5TB,  started in the evening and completed the next morning. Worked for both drives.

***Before doing this backup \ copy off the data, otherwise it'll be wiped out.***

I hope this solution consistently works for anyone else struggling with this. I know I struggled and was ready to give up. For anyone trying this please post back and let me know if this works for you as well.

Model: CM1100|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS 3.1, RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 2 of 4
chichuen
Aspirant

Thanks Lurksalot for your response and was interesting to see your screen shot as well.

in the process of trial and error, i found the following (may be useful whomsoever intention is similar to mine)

1. Backup Plus portable 5 TB appears not compatible with the Nighthawk router - I tried formtting both in FAT as well as NTFS (originally the drive comes with NTFS formatted).  Hence, i returned this.

2. Got Backup Plus Hub 8 TB (model STEL8000xxx) and the moment i connected, it started showing in my \\readyshare as well as in ReadyCloud without any formatting (came with NTFS formatted) - Actually Netgear idetnified my device defective and they replaced and I am talking all connections with the new device.

3. If the router is upgraded to firmware version xxx.122, then Readycloud does not show the storages or inconsistently shows one or two or both or none.  If the firmware is downgraded to xxxx.118, then all look OK.  xxx.122 release notes also state this.

4. I partitioned my 8 TB disk into 3 to check if I can access each of these drives through REadyshare as well as ReadyCloud.

5. Also found old seagate wireless backup 2 TB works with RAX120

Further, i would like to understand

- If I connect USB (plain or powered) hub and connect more storage devices (addl flashdrives), how these will be showing

- I tried sharing the folders with others with password, but can i do at the drive level e.g. share one partition to somebody else with the password access (other than admin pw) for access through ReadyCloud or FTP 

- I see in your screen shot 4 rows - you have 4 storage device or only two?

will be interesting how it evolves.  Thanks for your response

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 3 of 4
Lurksalot
Apprentice

I only have two USB storage devices. Those in the screen shot identified with 'Not Shared' are the main area of the drive (secured with admin), and Storage4 \ Storage5 are folders (data4 or data5) (All - no password) I created on each drive.

I want to make it clear, you need to make an attempt fully reformat each Seagate USB Storage device using Windows PC to make them work.  It takes hours to reformat given their size.

Model: CM1100|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS 3.1, RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7