× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: does broadcast SSID improve range?

RMDEQ
Star

does broadcast SSID improve range?

Our previous [non-Netgear] wifi router had no problem around our house with SSID broadcast disabled. My laptop could connect to wifi from any room.

When I got the RAX120, I configured it the same way - disable SSID broadcast. It worked fine in the room the router was in, but in the more distant rooms of the house, I could not sustain a connection. At the laptop, I'd get "no connection" but once I moved my laptop back into the room with the router, it would work again.

Out of exasperation, I enabled SSID broadcast. Now, I get wifi in every room again.

Is there some other setting on the RAX120 that could give me the same range without broadcasting SSID from the router?

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
rinthos
Luminary

Re: does broadcast SSID improve range?

@RMDEQ wrote:

Our previous [non-Netgear] wifi router had no problem around our house with SSID broadcast disabled. My laptop could connect to wifi from any room.

When I got the RAX120, I configured it the same way - disable SSID broadcast. It worked fine in the room the router was in, but in the more distant rooms of the house, I could not sustain a connection. At the laptop, I'd get "no connection" but once I moved my laptop back into the room with the router, it would work again.

Out of exasperation, I enabled SSID broadcast. Now, I get wifi in every room again.

Is there some other setting on the RAX120 that could give me the same range without broadcasting SSID from the router?

Technically range should be identical w/ SSID broadcasting or not...weird.

Not sure if it's related or not but did you happen to use the exact same SSID on the RAX120 that you did on your previous router that the laptop is connecting to?

If so, can I suggest completing removing the SSID references from your laptop, and manually re-joining the hidden SSID?

If you are running Windows, can you try running from a command prompt:  netsh wlan show interfaces

It will provide a % for signal strength...wondering how that compares on the RAX120 vs your prior router?

Also what channel are you using / can you try a different WiFi channel, wondering if you're just hitting interference?

Also to make sure..you are Not using the "SmartConnect" feature on the router correct? If you are, I'd recommend turning it off, and separating out your 2.4ghz and 5ghz WiFi networks and SSIDs..I've found SmartConnect to be a bit troubling.

Last one could be how features like beamforming etc. are playing into perceived signal strength for your device...it's possibly netgear is disabling features w/ SSID broadcasting off, but again that would seem unlikely...

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7