× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

force device to connect 5ghz wifi

xtramm
Initiate

force device to connect 5ghz wifi

MY MODEL IS NIGHTHAWK MK42 (MR60 on admin page), firmware V1.0.6.102_2.0.45 (not found in list)

often (not always) my 5gz devices connect over 2.4ghz wifi. i want to force several devices to connect in 5ghz or verify and choose myself with different ssid name for 2.4ghz and 5ghz wifi.

how can i do that?

thank you

Model: XRM570|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router and Mesh WiFi System
Message 1 of 4

Re: force device to connect 5ghz wifi

@xtramm wrote:

i want to force several devices to connect in 5ghz or verify and choose myself with different ssid name for 2.4ghz and 5ghz wifi.

That's not down to your router. It is in the hands of the wifi clients. They will choose the wifi source that they think is best for them, based on range and signal strength.

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers about your hardware, in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

Nighthawk Pro Gaming Routers - NETGEAR Communities

Message 2 of 4
rinthos
Luminary

You've got the WiFi Mesh System is looks like. Sorry to say that currently Netgear's Mesh solutions (ORBI, Nighthawk MK series) have a feature called "Smart Connect" also known as Band Steering.  This feature is exactly what you mentioned, the router using both 2.4ghz and 5ghz under the same SSID.  In theory, the "best" decision is assumed to be made...that is, the intent is that you should not need to worry about this, and the router and devices will just work it out.

There have been rumors that Netgear may add the capability to turn off this feature in the future for these devices, but no guarantee.

You may want to get a conventional Netgear router such as the RAX50, RAX70, RAX80, RAX120, or RAX200 where the feature can be enabled/disabled on-demand.  You can then add EAX80 range extenders if needed.  Not as seemless as a Mesh solution, but it will allow you to separate out the SSIDs as you are trying to do.

I know it's not the answer you were looking for, but it's just the reality of the Netgear "mesh" product lines, at least as they exist today :(.

@xtramm wrote:

MY MODEL IS NIGHTHAWK MK42 (MR60 on admin page), firmware V1.0.6.102_2.0.45 (not found in list)

often (not always) my 5gz devices connect over 2.4ghz wifi. i want to force several devices to connect in 5ghz or verify and choose myself with different ssid name for 2.4ghz and 5ghz wifi.

how can i do that?

thank you

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Band steering is probably the last that will happen (in case the bandwidth usage on one radio is high, or the number of allowed associations on a radio has reached it's limits) - there is much more in the 802.11k/r/v what the marketing people promote as Mesh (if there are multiple boxes) or a Smart Connect (single standalone routers or access points). 

If the standard would allow forcing a device to a certain band if the same SSID is available on different bands - all the device makers (up front Apple iOS, Android, Apple MacOS, Windows 10, ...), the driver makers, .... would offer such a thing. The maximum you can get is the ability to configure the _preferred_ band, e.g. on newer Intel WiFi adapter drivers. Still no enforcement or a guaranteed result...

The target of a Mesh or the like system design is to achieve seamless coverage and hand-over in the complete area covered by the WiFi system. This includes providing all or all near BSSIDs (the virtual radio MAC for each SSID) in a list to the wireless client, so it can built it's own preference list, and make the best possible decisions.

There are two classes of wireless clients out there in the field. The "dumb" legacy or simply cheap ones which connect once and stick to the BSSID forever* (or unless kicked-off by the access point...), and the decent ones able to take the information provided by the "Mesh" system and continuously evaluating the environment and the host needs. The later ones can seamless hand-over to another BSSID covering the same SSID or network. And they will change to 5 GHz (as I said: Permitting no limits are hit).

*This can happen for example because of the 2.4 GHz can become available first (no lengthy minute wait for DFS processing as mandatory on most 5 GHz channels), because the primary router does bring up it's wireless before any satellites or extenders probably better suited for the location are not up yet, ... and much more.

This shold give you an idea what is or is not going on woth the "beloved" clients you like to have on 5 GHz only - and of course you don't want these ever to use the 2.4 GHz radios when they sit out in the garden for example.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7