× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

how do I connect my internet coax to my Netgear Nighthawk Ax8

morrismc
Aspirant

how do I connect my internet coax to my Netgear Nighthawk Ax8

I purchased the Netgear Nighthawk Ax8 router with the intent to replace my internet provider's router. I want to cut the TV and Phone from my existing provider's plan and keep internet only. There is no coax port on the router to receive my cable for internet.  Is there an adapter to bring the coax cable to the ethernet port? Is that a good option or should I have chosen a different product that has a coax port? Thanks

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: how do I connect my internet coax to my Netgear Nighthawk Ax8

You don't say who your isp is but if you recieve internet service via coax you will need a modem. The RAX80 is a router only device (best route). You need a modem seperate. Or you can return the RAX80 and get a combo device that has a modem and router together. I'm not a fan of these as then the isp controls the firmware as well as if something goes wrong, you're out both devices. 

Who is your ISP? Usually they have a list of compatible modems based upon service you plan on using. 

Message 2 of 5

@plemans wrote:

I'm not a fan of these as then the isp controls the firmware as well as if something goes wrong, you're out both devices. 

You can get some idea of why this is sound advice by looking at how many cable modem/routers Netgear sells.

Cable Modem Routers | Networking | Home | NETGEAR

A handful.

Compare that with the router range.

Wifi Router | Wireless Routers for Home | NETGEAR

Dozens.

This tells me that you get a much wider choice of features in routers.

Just put a cable modem in front.

Message 3 of 5
morrismc
Aspirant

Yep, Cable modem in front of the router is the solution.  Thanks

Message 4 of 5

@morrismc wrote:

Yep, Cable modem in front of the router is the solution.  Thanks

When looking for a cable modem, best look for a "modem only" number.

Many modems are really modem/routers. That just makes like more complicated ... and expensive.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7