× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

need placement suggestions so i can buy the right cables for Nighthawk WiFi 6 Mesh System please!

soysoy
Tutor

need placement suggestions so i can buy the right cables for Nighthawk WiFi 6 Mesh System please!

...rather annoying that the model for Nighthawk WiFi 6 Mesh System isnt available in the "Model/recommended-helps community give the best answers" form.... but i already digress.

I just got an MK60 system. 1 MR60 and 2 MS60s.
i will be putting a small unmanaged switch on the output lan connection of the MR60 and connecting both MS60 sattelites with lan cables in order to use the backhaul channel capabilities.  
right now all wall are open as we havent started our renovation yet, but eventually these will be in wall and not really changeable. 

even if we outgrow these devices and dont need dedicated lan cables for our mesh system down the road, i still think its handy to have some network cabling handy so no biggie.

so what im hoping for is some ballpark suggestions of where i should place the system.
i can from suggestions, buy some cabling, setup the system, then fine tune the palcements from there myself.
i have freedom to place wherever i want.  
i am including a rough layout of our house.
its worth noting that the house is only 15' wide and has no walls that run front to back that interfere.
also worth noting that the back yard and basement arent as important, as i would buy more MS60s if needed for extra coverage.

any and all suggestions are welcome! please please please!

Message 1 of 5
soysoy
Tutor

Re: need placement suggestions so i can buy the right cables for Nighthawk WiFi 6 Mesh System please

oh yeah, the letters in the pic are for suggestions. so people can suggest which letter to palce a sattelite

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: need placement suggestions so i can buy the right cables for Nighthawk WiFi 6 Mesh System please

I would plan on the primary router for 1st or 2nd floor. wherever would be a good place for a hub setup. Its always a good plan to centrally locate the primary router because if you ever upgrade to a wireless backhaul, you'll have less daisy chaining. 

the rest, like you said, you can fine tune.

And if you're doing it and its not costing extra, a ethernet jack in each room is awesome to have. I did that in my house and don't regret it even slightly. I move my satellites around frequently to just see how things work. 

Reason it didn't show is your in the AX router forum and not the nighthawk mesh forum

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Mesh-System/bd-p/en-home-nighthawk-mesh-system

Message 3 of 5
soysoy
Tutor

i see, should i move the thread to other forum?
also, fiber optic comes in at the second floor, the x is where the modem is, but i can run cable to wherever i want to put router, so it really is a matter of best pattern

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

Sadly, the only way to really determine best patter is to try different things. Objects in walls/interference/etc all are going to make differences. when I first got my mesh system, I probably moved it around once a week or every other week trying different configurations that worked best in my home. 

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7