× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

new night hawk RAX80 keeps dropping wired and wireless connections

JMDAZ
Aspirant

new night hawk RAX80 keeps dropping wired and wireless connections

New Nighthawk AX80 firmware:1.0.1.64_1.0.27 keeps dropping wired connections and wireless connections.  I've had to reboot the router several times in the last week.  This happens at random intervals, often at night.  No apparent reason the Router just decides to stop responding.  Secondary issue when internet was not available I could not access the router admin page, nor were any of my internal network devices available.  Beginning to regret the purchase when it can't even keep wired connections and internal network integrity.  Also wireless users having to retype passwords to reconnect randomly.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: new night hawk RAX80 keeps dropping wired and wireless connections

Did you do the update over a hardwired connection? And did you reset afterwards?

I've noticed the newer RAX devices firmware is still a little beta and responds very favorably to hard resets. And along the stream of being a bit beta, you can downgrade the firmware you're on to an earlier version. Maybe there's issues with the one you're on. If you do downgrade, make sure to do it over a hardwired connection and reset the device afterward. 

Message 2 of 7
Riverwhip
Tutor

Sounds like exactly the same problem I’ve been having for a few weeks now. Resetting nearly every night to reconnect smart TVs and tablets. Sometimes they’ll say connected with no internet, when other devices clearly have internet over the same WiFi
Message 3 of 7
JMDAZ
Aspirant

all my Roku, TV's and game systems are hard wired, the laptops, phones, and a couple of consoles are wireless.  I changed my wireless access password so it did not have special characters (not as secure as I would like), and that seemed to help connectivity.  I haven't tried to downgrade my firmware version yet.  I am also having trouble connecting my WAC104 access point.  I can't get it to resolve to the new router.  One of the challenges is the WAC factory settings are 192.168.0.x where the defaults for the new Nighthawks are 192.168.1.x.  Makes setting up access points a little challenging.

Message 4 of 7
JimTheGreek
Tutor

I'm experiencing exactly the same. I found that by simply rebooting the dropped device, it'll come back fine. BUT, that's a pain, I have to do it on a daily bases.  I have not had a wired device drop yet, just wireless.

I also notice, there are NO solution posts to this problem. Sad!

@Riverwhip wrote:
Sounds like exactly the same problem I’ve been having for a few weeks now. Resetting nearly every night to reconnect smart TVs and tablets. Sometimes they’ll say connected with no internet, when other devices clearly have internet over the same WiFi

Message 5 of 7
additude
Virtuoso

I agree with @plemans 

1. Factory Reset

2. Upgrade FW via hardwire cable

3. Factory Reset again

4. Enter all settings manually

Message 6 of 7
JimTheGreek
Tutor

Thanks for the reply. I’m in the process as we “speak”. What I found is even though my router was on old FW, it kept telling me it’s current! So I manually updated it. Note I’m about to do the second factory reset!
Any ideas why it doesn’t see it’s outdated?
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7