× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: new tech support experience

gregkane00
Initiate

new tech support experience

rax120

So this is my first try at Netgear equipment in years. It hasn't been a joyful experience over the last few days. First, I bought a refurbished RAX80 from a vendor on eBay. I installed it and had questions regarding how it handled external disks via the USB3 ports. Netgear claimed that eBay was not "approved" and treated me and my request with the same level of respect you would a thief. Ok, I sent the router back and got a full refund.
Next, I bought a new RAX120 from Amazon (they are "approved"). This router did not handle disks as well as the RAX80. I got inconsistent results after trying a number of WD passport disks. One disk (disk 1) was a few weeks old and I was able to successfully change the name fo the share and volume name. However, what displayed in my finder (I have a MacBook Pro) was 2 lines, neither displaying the volume name correctly but both accessed the drive's data (the first time). After a number of reboots I found the data was displayed some of the time and then not data at other times. On drive 2 I found the share name was displayed but the data was not.
Tech support was a real nightmare. I spent close to 6 hours on the phone. I was disconnected twice and they did not return the call even though I verified they had my phone number. The initial level "support" were not technical help.
They took notes and handed me off to other people. Often this initial level insisted on creating new trouble ticket number, thereby losing all of the notes from the original ticket. I mentioned this made no sense and asked them why they did this and they could not give me a rational explanation. I asked for second/third level support and was never able to get there.
I learned a couple of things. One the "support" is focused on some illogical bureaucratic requirement that has only a passing relationship to the customer needs. It is not COVID-19 holding these guys back, its the people running tech support. Second they advertise the fact they have these 2 great USB3 ports when selling the product but then tell you they only tested it with a handful of hard drives. My guess is engineering knows full well what is going on but but management would rather hold it from the customers.
If you are thinking of purchasing the RAX120, in part, for "network" drives, keep looking fore a better router and better tech support.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: new tech support experience

Hi gregkane00, 

I can assist with support following up on your case and having it escalated. If you wish to be contacted, please send me a private message with your case number(s) and email address. 

Christian 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7