× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

question about WIFI locations

enor
Aspirant

question about WIFI locations

When accessing website on my laptop or WIFI only iPad for online purchases, they alway have my location somewhere other than my location. I am on WIFI only thru Netgear AX1800 router.

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: question about WIFI locations

What modem/gateway is it connected to? 

Are you using icloud relay or private mac/ip address on it? 

Message 2 of 4
enor
Aspirant

We use fiber from Zito Media. We do not use iCloud. Not real technical but was wondering where your location come from when WIFI only. Seems to only be internet, on Google maps my location is accurate.

Message 3 of 4
Razor512
Prodigy

The automated location functions using just your IP address are never accurate. Such results are not influenced by WiFi.

If you are using a proxy server on VPN, then they will detect your location as somewhere else.

If on a smartphone or other device with a built in GPS receiver and using a mobile browser that supports the precise location function, then they can poll the location services for a more accurate location that goes beyond what can be determined via the

IP address alone.

IP alone typically gets you results like what this site can see https://www.whatismyip.com/

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7