× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: rax120 dropping connection speed until reboot

rakandpak
Aspirant

rax120 dropping connection speed until reboot

I recently purchased the RAX120 and it has been working fine for a day or so and then it drops speed to below 30Mbps. I have a gigabit connection plan from my ISP and normally get 800+ Mbps and once the router has been rebooted I get this speed again. I have a cm1200 modem which is then connected to the RAX120 and both are running latest firmware. It seems to be only my download speed that is affected when I notice the issue. I am running speed tests from multiple computers wired directly to router, directly on my RAX router and from the nighthawk app on my phone connected 5g. All are showing the same results, low 10-30 Mbps download prior to reboot and then 600+ once the router has been reset.

I have port aggregation setup between cm1200 and rax120, but everything else is default settings.

Is this an issue with the router? Is it an issue with firmware? 

Anyone else experience this issue? What can I do to solve this issue? Thanks for any help with this.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Try disabling port aggregation and just going single port from the cm1200 to the rax120. it wouldn't be the first time this setup caused issues or slowdowns. You're only getting 800mbps and the rax120 should hit around that 940mbps (ish) if you're hitting full speeds. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Try disabling port aggregation and just going single port from the cm1200 to the rax120. it wouldn't be the first time this setup caused issues or slowdowns. You're only getting 800mbps and the rax120 should hit around that 940mbps (ish) if you're hitting full speeds. 

Message 2 of 9
rakandpak
Aspirant

Plemans,

Thanks for the reply!

I have disabled the port agrregation on both the cm1200 and rax120, and reboot each of them for a fresh start. I will update here if the issue persists in the next day or 2. As for the top speed of my setup, I do get 800+ mbps and it usually hovers between 800-900 mbps, so I am not too worried about that. My main issue is it dropping to 10 - 30mbps, which does not seem like it should be happening, as well as it taking a reboot of the router or modem to get back to my top speeds.

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

Hopefully its just a bug with the port aggregation and that it stays working for you. 

Message 4 of 9
rakandpak
Aspirant

@plemans,

So it seems that port aggregation was the issue. I have not had my speeds drop since I disabled it on both the cm1200 and rax120. But the main reason I purchased these products was for the port aggregation, as to help with speeds for my network.

Is this an issue with the firmware of one of the products? Or is it a hardwares issue?

If it is hardware, is there a way for me to tell which (the modem cm1200 or the router rax120) is having the issue?

If it is firmware, is there a plan to resolve the issue on Netgears side? When would this be available?

Thanks for the help.

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

Is this an issue with the firmware of one of the products? Or is it a hardwares issue?

If it is hardware, is there a way for me to tell which (the modem cm1200 or the router rax120) is having the issue?

If it is firmware, is there a plan to resolve the issue on Netgears side? When would this be available?

Thanks for the help.

All good questions. Unfortunately this is the community forum where its members of the public helping out others. I'm not privy to any of netgears firmware plans.  I guess a way to test would be to have your computer test the network aggregation. If it works directly connected to modem, then its the router causing the problems. If it doesn't, then its the modem. 

Message 6 of 9
rakandpak
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestions. I understand this is just a community and thought maybe you or someone else may have run into this issue and had some further insight on the cause. Anyway, I will contact support about the issue and see if they have any info on what would cause this when aggregation is enabled. And maybe even a fix or planned fix for the future 🙂 

Thanks again for all your help it is much appreciated!

Message 7 of 9
plemans
Guru

I have ran into the issue on a RAX200 but still don't have a fix for it.  I wish I did.  The more people that open the support tickets with netgear, the more resources the devote to fixing these early issues with the RAX devices. 

Message 8 of 9
Motorray
Tutor

i still have the same problem with my rax200 and just keep reboot everyday then reboot all of the rest of my devices just called tech support 3 times and they just repeat the same process over and over with no fix 

just crazy yes maybe the first time i see and maybe they dont think i under stand what their trying to do but i know how to reset my rax200 with the pinhole and a clip because ive done this before many times with the older router and with their arlo brand too

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7