× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: router recommendation

magicsany
Tutor

router recommendation

Can anyone recommend a reliable router? I have a long history with netgear routers, but my R7000 is not aging well. After almost 6 years of outstanding service it now has slow wi-fi speeds (especially on 5Ghz), frequent connection drops and requires daily reboots. It runs the most recent firmware V1.0.11.100, but still can’t handle ballooning number of wireless devices (~25).    

What is a current gold standard for a netgear router? I would prefer to have something robust, stable and secure, rather than having fastest speeds and latest features. I don’t need cloud/NAS/VPN/Apps or other "smart features". It would be nice to have internal power adapter, internal antennas and fan-free thermal design. I would't mind spending extra on reliable router, which does not

require daily troubleshooting. Are there any benefits for getting wifi6 router? Which one would you recommend RAX80, RAX120 or RAX200, and why.    Thanks!

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions

@magicsany wrote:

Can anyone recommend a reliable router?

One person's reliable router is another's disaster on wheels. Find something that grabs your fancy and see what people say about it around here. But remember that people turn up here with problems, not praise.

If there is a constant theme hereabouts it is that the RAX technology remains work in progress.

A popular workhorse router is the R7800. It fits in with your sensible desire for "robust, stable and secure, rather than having fastest speeds and latest features".

Internal power doesn't seem to exist on any router.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies

@magicsany wrote:

Can anyone recommend a reliable router?

One person's reliable router is another's disaster on wheels. Find something that grabs your fancy and see what people say about it around here. But remember that people turn up here with problems, not praise.

If there is a constant theme hereabouts it is that the RAX technology remains work in progress.

A popular workhorse router is the R7800. It fits in with your sensible desire for "robust, stable and secure, rather than having fastest speeds and latest features".

Internal power doesn't seem to exist on any router.

Message 2 of 3
lmanpunk
Star

Do not get a RAX200.. Big mistake on my part. Maybe Netgear will buy it bake.  My R7000 is way better.   RAX200 constantly drops

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7