× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

wifi 6 with vpn preinstalled

woodies
Tutor

wifi 6 with vpn preinstalled

hi i was wondering if a vpn like vpnexpress comes pre installed in any wifi 6 routers... and if not.. why are wifi 6 routers unable to have a vpn?

thanks

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: wifi 6 with vpn preinstalled

Its not that they're "unable to have a vpn". Its just that many vpn's have custom firmware they install to the router.

Usually what happens is the open source community gets a stable firmware version running for a router and vpn companies use and adapter it for what they need for their vpn.

Wifi 6 routers are pretty new and the open source community (dd-wrt) doesn't have much for builds right now. Plus there isn't as many AX routers out there so there isn't a financial push from VPN makers to devote resources ($) to builds yet. 

So you don't see much for VPN companies offering customized firmware for wifi 6 routers yet. I imagine it'll come with time/exposure. 

Message 2 of 6
woodies
Tutor

Thanks for your reply appreciated.

So if one wants to stream or game or have security for example its not much use at the moment to buy a wifi6 router then i take it.

I wonder if these routers sell well then.  

So my best bet is just stick to my nighthawk 7000r and use express vpn i suppose...is that going to slow my speeds down much could you tell me?  and I'm very vpn dumb at the moment in regards to setting these up or how you even use a vpn service... does netgear help with that? I'm trying to work out the best solution to add a vpn service and i'd rather expressvpn than any others ive compared to

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

@woodies wrote:

Thanks for your reply appreciated.

So if one wants to stream or game or have security for example its not much use at the moment to buy a wifi6 router then i take it.

I wonder if these routers sell well then.  

So my best bet is just stick to my nighthawk 7000r and use express vpn i suppose...is that going to slow my speeds down much could you tell me?---The VPN will slow it more than anything else because traffic has to be routed through the vpn.   and I'm very vpn dumb at the moment in regards to setting these up or how you even use a vpn service... does netgear help with that?-----no, express vpn is its own custom firmware option. If you're using it, you need to go through expressvpn for support with speeds/performance.  I'm trying to work out the best solution to add a vpn service and i'd rather expressvpn than any others ive compared to

Message 4 of 6
keisul86
Aspirant

I have been using Express vpn for a while now. I am also in the market for a wifi 6 router. I am wanting one that is compatable with Express. I contacted them and they said they need to test the routers first to make sure they are compatable and secure. No ETA yet but I would guess in the next month or two they will reccomend a couple models. It might not be preinstalled but it's not that difficult to do it yourself. 

Message 5 of 6
woodies
Tutor

I stuck to the one router that i have been using and not bothered with the wifi6 because of the reasons stated above. My speeds are fast now.. on tv i get over 125, and more than i need.. it is faster not slower than before, my isp isn't impressed but too bad. 

If it aint broke don't try fix it.. I'm glad i didnt spend a cent upgrading to something that can't be any faster or better than i have now. and the support at express is better than here, as you would know. so if you are set on getting a 6 before they are widely useful.. get any brand and put express on yourself as you said its easy.  advise..don't upgrade their firmware i had to get them to set mine back to the last, they acknowledge its dodgy themselves (at the moment at least).

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7