× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

wn3100m will not connect to my new RAX20 router.

CalebShepard
Tutor

wn3100m will not connect to my new RAX20 router.

I have Multiple pc's all connected to my Xfinity home internet.

I decided to purchase my own router and modem to ditch the rental costs. Purchased Arris Surfboard SBV2402 and Netgear RAX20 ax1800 Router.

One of the pc's connects to the internet via a Netgear wn3100m USB adapter. Another is using a j5 USB adapter with no issues. The pc running the Netgear adapter, will not find my new router. Have plugged in 2 other routers to verify the adapter didn't fail. Have tried the adapter in another pc and it doesn't work with the new router, but does with the old ones. Leads me to believe the new router is having a problem communicating with the old USB  adapter. i have been trying to uninstall, re-install the drivers for the adapter, Rebooted the modem, router, and pc multiple times. What has me stumped is that the adapter works with older routers, and the new router communicates with my older laptops with integrated cards. 

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 10
CalebShepard
Tutor

Re: wn3100m will not connect to my new RAX20 router.

Upon Further inspection, what i thought was a Netgear USB adapter, is actually an On-Networks USB adapter that shows up in my device manager as a Netgear adapter. That must be why the driver updates from Netgear aren't working for it. 

Message 2 of 10
plemans
Guru

@CalebShepard wrote:

Upon Further inspection, what i thought was a Netgear USB adapter, is actually an On-Networks USB adapter that shows up in my device manager as a Netgear adapter. That must be why the driver updates from Netgear aren't working for it. 

That could sure cause issues. 

One thing you can try, is go into the RAX20 and disable the AX broadcast. See if it can see/connect that route. 

Some of the older devices can't see the AX broadcast. 

If that works, your options are:

1. leave AX disabled (half pointless as thats why you bought an AX router)

2. contact On-networks to see if they have an updated driver that works with AX

3. Replace the USB device

Message 3 of 10
CalebShepard
Tutor

I tried that last night, AX is still off.

I tried to find the drivers online, i guess On-Networks is now gone and owned by Netgear. The netgear drivers, for the same model USB  adapter, do not recognize the on-networks adapter. They let me download and install, but at the end of the install, it asks for me to insert the adapter, which it never finds is plugged in.

Message 4 of 10
plemans
Guru

Looks like that card had a realtek chip in it. the Realtek RTL8192

you could try realtek and see if they're updated drivers for AX. Its not looking good as their last update for that card was 3 years ago (prior to AX)

https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/rtl8192eu-software

Message 5 of 10
CalebShepard
Tutor

How did you find that? lol. 

Will give it a try and let you know.

Thanks

Message 6 of 10
plemans
Guru

Good luck. Might be coming time for a new dual band adapter
Message 7 of 10
CalebShepard
Tutor

The download is going at a snail's pace. says over an hour to download it. weird.

Message 8 of 10
CalebShepard
Tutor

It stinks that it has been working great up to this point. it is actually faster than the one i bought a few months ago. Well.... not now, but it was. haha

Message 9 of 10
CalebShepard
Tutor

I couldnt get those drivers to work either. Will just have to either upgrade my usb device, or run the spool of CAT5e cable i have sitting in the basement to my office. Thanks for all the help in trying to get it to work! 🙂

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7