× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

xr1000 app security problem

ATOMINSF
Tutor

xr1000 app security problem

I used the Dumas 3.0 app, on my Android phone, to manage my XR1000 router.  I also used the Netgear Nighthawk app when I was using a R7000.  When I change the password from either my computer or Dumas app, the next time I log in, I need to enter the new password, which makes sense.  However, on the Nighthawk app, it still can log in without using the new password.  Not a good thing.

I tried rebooting the router a few times with the same results.

Message 1 of 5
ATOMINSF
Tutor

Re: xr1000 app security problem

I got a call from Support.  Once the Netgear Nighthawk app accesses the XR1000, and possibly other routers, it doesn't need to autheticate again.  If I change the admin password from my computer, the app will still have access to admin functions on the router.  The only way to stop the app from accessing the router is to log out or reinstall the app on the phone(s).

The same with Anywhere Access.  Once the Netgear Nighthawk app, on both Andriod and IOS, has Anywhere Access, you cannot restrict access on the XR1000.  I could on the R7000.

So if you break up with your girlfriend, she can lock you out of your router from anywhere in the world.  You wouldn't be able to use the internet from your desktop.  

How does this even make sense?

Message 2 of 5
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

There is an Alpha app for Duma on IOS and to be honest the nighthawk app is best avoided for the XR series of routers after all it has no real use as you should be logging in to Duma to use the features from there.

Setting up is best done via the web GUI so again little use for the app. 

I would simply remove the app from your device as it's not needed.

Message 3 of 5
ATOMINSF
Tutor

As I mentioned in my first post, I have the dumas so on my phone. The problem is that my son has the Netgear Nighthawk app uses it to workaround my restrictio.
Message 4 of 5
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Delete the app on his phone if you don't want him to have access would I guess be the answer.

I can see what you are saying though and maybe NG should alter it just for security wise but with all routers access to the main features should be restricted to the ones that require it only. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7