× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need help planning my network

Zigma
Aspirant

Need help planning my network

I am pretty new to setting up switches and routers.

My home is already routed with cat 5, and I want to take advantage of that to wire up the whole home.

Each of the 2 bedrooms, my office, living room, and a little desk space all have cat 5 RJ4 ports that go to a box outside on my back patio.  The fiber connection also goes to this box outside on my back patio.

Office

The office has two gamming computers, and a printer connected to the computers via WIFI.

Living Room

The living room has a smart TV, PS4, Xbox One, and a 4k blu ray player and I would like to add something like a NAS to store my movies on later.

the other rooms do not have much of anything, mostly wiring them up because I can.

I was thinking of putting a Netgear Nighthawk S800 in the box outside that will connect all the rooms together and to the fiber connection.  Then put a Netgear nighthawk AC3200 in the office to connect the two computers to lan to the S800 outside and provide wifi to everything else in the home.  The living room I was thinking of a basic non managed switch to connect all that stuff to the S800.

My current setup has a netgear PoE GS108P outside, a Asus AC2400 in the office, and a cheap TP link 8 port switch in the Livingroom.  It works ok, but the netgear outside I got used and has dropped out a few times. The Asus router in the office pretty much acts likes its own network, and cannot see anything else.

I want everything to be networked, and fast enough for 4k streaming and fast games.

Any tips and advice is welcome, thank you.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Need help planning my network

@Zigma,

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm glad to know that the test you did shows that its working with the new setup. 🙂  The new setup is the recommended setup. 

If ever you have no further inquiries or questions, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Zigma,

You mentioned: 'The Asus router in the office pretty much acts likes its own network, and cannot see anything else.'  Just want to verify, the device that was provided by your ISP (Internet Service Provider) is it a modem-only device or modem-router combination?  If ever it is a modem-router combination, then you have a router behind another router (Asus AC2400 router behind the modem-router) resulting into a Double-NAT scenario.  I suggest you to set the modem-router to full-bridge mode so that it will be a modem-only device and the Public IP Address will be registered to the Asus AC2400 router.  This will make the Asus AC2400 router the main router.  The network setup will be:

modem-only device -- Asus AC2400 router -- GS108P switch -- TPlink 8-Port switch

You could either daisy-chain the GS108P switch and the TPlink 8-Port switch or connect both switches to the Asus AC2400 router. 

If ever you want to implement the Nighthawk AC3200 router and the Nighthawk S8000 switch in your network, this should be your setup: 

modem-only device -- Nighthawk AC3200 router -- Nighthawk S8000 switch

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 5
Zigma
Aspirant

the ISP is my fiber internet, what is it own box outside.  right now that cables goes from the fiber box to the switch outside.

I been playing with diffrent setups, and it looks I am going to have to do the one thing I really did not want to do.

I do not want my Asus Wifi router outside for clear reasons,  so I want to keep that in the office.

The Asus router does have it own internet port and 4 other ports.  I need to connect my fibew line to that internet port, to do this I will need to run a 2end line to the office. 

Once I run a 2end line to my office it should all work with what I have,  but I think later I would like to buy all netgear stuff.

I attached a .png of the old and new setup.  my tests show it does work,  now to order new cable and run a 2end wire for the fiber line.

Message 3 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Zigma,

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm glad to know that the test you did shows that its working with the new setup. 🙂  The new setup is the recommended setup. 

If ever you have no further inquiries or questions, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 5
Zigma
Aspirant

thank you

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos