× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk S8000 and 2 ReadyNas 214 NAS Storage Devices

5LO
Aspirant
Aspirant

Nighthawk S8000 and 2 ReadyNas 214 NAS Storage Devices

Hello!

Im looking for some advice with regarding a Nighthawk S8000 switch and using it the 2 ReadyNAS storage devices in LAG mode.

I have a R9000 router with 2 link aggregation ports that have been setup as LAG (Static).

What I would like to do is hookup 2 ReadyNAS 214 storage devices (1 for work / 1 for personal use)  and would like to use LAG for both of the storages devices.

I noticed that the Nighthawk S8000 is capable of setting up LAG ports (LAG 1 & 2) is it possible to setup the S8000 switch with one pair of LAG ports that hook into the router LAG ports, then setup to more pairs for LAG and hook those pairs to the ReadyNAS devices?

So it would be Port 2 & 3 (LAG) connected to the router, ports 4 & 5 (LAG) connected to the ports on ReadyNAS device #1, ports 6 & 7 (LAG) connected to the ports on ReadyNAS device #2.

Then I would like to use port #1 to hook up to another Nighthawk S8000 then hook my computer systems to the second S8000 using ports 2 thru 6.

I'm trying to achieve the greatest throughput to the 2 ReadyNAS devices.

Looking to see if this possible as described and very open to advice to as has to how to configure this using the Nighthawk S8000 switches and R9000 router.

Firmware: The router, switches, & ReadyNAS devices all have the latest FW, verified as of 10/20/17

Thank you!

Model: Nighthawk S8000| GS808E Gaming & Streaming Switch
Message 1 of 7
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Nighthawk S8000 and 2 ReadyNas 214 NAS Storage Devices

Hi 5LO,

Welcome to our community!

As per checking that the S8000 also supports LAG. 

You may refer to this link to setup LAG on your switch.

Regards,

Message 2 of 7
5LO
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply.

To be clear, even after reading the article you attached, I should be able to set the switch to multiple LAGs and run both ReadyNAS devices in LAG mode via one switch and still be able to benefit from the increased bandwith?

Thanks for the help!

Message 3 of 7
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@5LO,

I believe you can only create 2 LAGs on this switch. 1 from ports 1-4 and another 1 from ports 5-8. Yes, it allows the switch to treat multiple physical links between two end-points as a single logical link.

Regards,

Message 4 of 7
5LO
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks!

My HDDs arrive tomorrow for the 2nd NAS. I'll post once I've had a chance to set it up.

Message 5 of 7
5LO
Aspirant
Aspirant

Apologies for delay in responding,

I've recieved the hardware, however I'm completely lost as to setup a LAG link between between my Netgear NAS204 and the S8000 Nighthawk S8000 switch.

I took it down to the basics per some of the KB links, below is the current setup:

Router:

R9000 X10

Switch:

Nighthawk S8000

NAS

NAS204

On the X10 router I enabled "Static LAG" per the KB article when connecting a S8000 switch

On the S8000 switch I enabled LAG for ports 1 & 2 and connected 2 CAT5 cables to ports 1 & 2 on the X10 router

Also on the S8000 switch I enabled LAG for ports 5 & 6 and connect my NAS204, using LAG, to those ports

The issue that's confusing is how do I setup the NAS to use both ports on the NAS to both 5 & 6 ports on the S8000 switch?

On the NAS when I create a new bond between the 2 ethernet ports it asks me which mode to use. The KB article stated XOR, Layer 2, so I set it the new bond according to the KB article. However when I connect 2 CAT5 cables from the NAS to LAG ports on the S8000 switch the NAS will not appear. I cannot access it via and IP, static or dynamic. If I remove the one of the CAT5 cable from the NAS that connects to the S8000 switch and refresh I can see the NAS again on the network.

At this point I'm lost as to how to connect my NAS to my Nighthawk S8000 in LAG mode. Also all IPs are set to static mode, NAS and switch.

Hoping someone may have some insight into what my issue may be.

Thanks!

Message 6 of 7
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@5LO,

I think it might be better if you could share that issue with the ReadyNAS community. So that they can assist you further on setting up LAG in your NAS.

Regards,

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7