Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC 1900 Router drops internet randomly

Dago22
Aspirant

AC 1900 Router drops internet randomly

I'm hoping someone can help me.  I have this router and it works great except once or twice a day, the router randomly loses internet connection.  Usually, it is down for 5 minutes or less and then it comes back on its own but it can be an issue when I get kicked out of a Zoom meeting.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?  Or, should I just invest in a new router?

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6

Re: AC 1900 Router drops internet randomly

@Dago22 wrote:

I'm hoping someone can help me.  I have this router and it works great except once or twice a day, the router randomly loses internet connection.  Usually, it is down for 5 minutes or less and then it comes back on its own but it can be an issue when I get kicked out of a Zoom meeting.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?  Or, should I just invest in a new router?

What do the LEDs look like when this happens?

Is it just the wifi that goes off? Or is it wired stuff too?

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Message 2 of 6
Dago22
Aspirant

Internet drops for everything...wired and wireless devices lose internet access at the same time.

The modem is the latest model provided by Spectrum. It is just a modem not a router.  I actually swapped out the modem first to eliminate the modem as the cause of my problem.  The modem model is Hitron Technologies model E31N2V1.

Also, with regard to the lights...I have been using a wired device right next to the router and see no change in the lights when the random internet drop occurs...the lights look like normal.

My firmware version is V1.0.9.88_10.2.88.

Thanks for your help.

Message 3 of 6

@Dago22 wrote:

The modem is the latest model provided by Spectrum. It is just a modem not a router.  I actually swapped out the modem first to eliminate the modem as the cause of my problem.  The modem model is Hitron Technologies model E31N2V1.

Always good to have that confirmed. You'd be surprised by the number of modem/routers that turn up here, hence the question.

@Dago22 wrote:

My firmware version is V1.0.9.88_10.2.88.

That seems to date back to June 2019, coming up for its second birthday.

There have been several since then. You could try the latest. If this is a known fault, Netgear may have tried to fix it:

R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.11.116 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 4 of 6
Dago22
Aspirant

When I check for new version of the firmware from the Router Administration screen, I get a message back = "No new firmware version available".  So, I'm confused about this.  I thought all along that I had the latest firmware based on this.  Is this a Netgear problem in that they don't have the latest firmware version loaded on the right website?  Do I need to manually update the firmware using the file from the link that you sent me?

Message 5 of 6

@Dago22 wrote:

Is this a Netgear problem in that they don't have the latest firmware version loaded on the right website? 

Something like that, although it can be more complicated.

Sometimes it is just a matter of timing. New firmware can take a few days to make it on the the update server.

The most reliable way to check for the latest firmware is on the support pages of the device.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7