Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC1900 Access router after configuring to bridge mode

Dubberdude
Aspirant

AC1900 Access router after configuring to bridge mode

Because I have StarLink, which does not have an ethernet port on their router, I set up my Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 router as a bridge to connect a couple of NAS devices and a HUE Bridge for my lighting, etcetera following these instructions...

https://kb.netgear.com/24105/What-is-wireless-bridge-mode-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-NETGEAR-route...

Now that it's set up (and working fine), how do I access (manage) the bridge? Is there a web interface? I've searched nearly everywhere and have not found anything substantive. I can and have pinged the IP address with no loss, but when I use a browser (Safari, Chrome, Brave), I'm presented with this...

Server Error

404 - File or directory not found.
The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Dubberdude
Aspirant

Re: AC1900 Access router after configuring to bridge mode

"You need to find the local IP address of the R7000. (I assume that this is what you are using, there is no such thing as an AC1900 model.)"

I have the local IP address of the router/bridge. (I assumed that AC1900 was the model number since that's the first number in the description). So, apparently, my AC1900 Smart WiFi Router is an R6900v2 as evidenced by the image below.

"One way to track down the IP address is to get into whatever router you are using and to look at its list of attached devices. Quite how you do that with your StarLink is for you to work out. It isn't something that I've seen discussed here before."

I have tracked down the IP address of the router/bridge with the StarLink app. Quite easily actually.

"Finally, if you have a PC, the desktop genie has a network map feature that can show the IP addresses of devices on the network. Even better, there can be clickable links that get you into the device."

I have a PC, but rarely use it since I'm a Mac user. So, I got it out, blew the dust off, and was able to sign in. The Mac version of Netgear's Genie app locks up consistently and is essentially unusable. That said, after I logged into the router/bridge on the PC, I was able to log in with Safari on my Mac. Strange behavior, but I'll accept it.

"You can also manage "Guest" and some other settings with the desktop "app" for your operating system. This can be quicker and easier than diving into the browser graphical user interface (GUI)."

Actually, I found the browser GUI to be better and easier to navigate (once I was able to sign in to the router/bridge).

"Netgear is trying to kill this useful utility, but for the time being...":

I have archived it, just in case it transcends into vaporware.

"Be warned that the genie installation file is wrapped up in a RAR archive that you have to decompress."

RAR, ZIP, DMG, etc. – all the same to me.

Thank you for your help!

IMG_6742.jpg

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8

All Replies

@Dubberdude wrote:

Now that it's set up (and working fine), how do I access (manage) the bridge? Is there a web interface? I've searched nearly everywhere and have not found anything substantive. I can and have pinged the IP address with no loss, but when I use a browser (Safari, Chrome, Brave), I'm presented with this...

You need to find the local IP address of the R7000. (I assume that this is what you are using, there is no such thing as an AC1900 model.)

One way to track down the IP address is to get into whatever router you are using and to look at its list of attached devices. Quite how you do that with your StarLink is for you to work out. It isn't something that I've seen discussed here before.

The reason for suggesting this is that it is up to the router to fix the IP addresses for things connected to it.

Another option might be to look at the wifi from the R7000 and see if you can track down its IP address.

I haven't tried a router in bridge mode so I don't know if it has the same options as access point (AP) mode. In that case I set up the device to have a fixed IP address. Then, whenever I want to use a web browser to get into the graphical user interface (GUI) I know what IP address to aim at.

Finally, if you have a PC, the desktop genie has a network map feature that can show the IP addresses of devices on the network. Even better, there can be clickable links that get you into the device.

You can also manage "Guest" and some other settings with the desktop "app" for your operating system. This can be quicker and easier than diving into the browser graphical user interface (GUI).

Netgear is trying to kill this useful utility, but for the time being you can find it here:

genie | Product | Support | NETGEAR

Be warned that the genie installation file is wrapped up in a RAR archive that you have to decompress.

Message 2 of 8
Dubberdude
Aspirant

"You need to find the local IP address of the R7000. (I assume that this is what you are using, there is no such thing as an AC1900 model.)"

I have the local IP address of the router/bridge. (I assumed that AC1900 was the model number since that's the first number in the description). So, apparently, my AC1900 Smart WiFi Router is an R6900v2 as evidenced by the image below.

"One way to track down the IP address is to get into whatever router you are using and to look at its list of attached devices. Quite how you do that with your StarLink is for you to work out. It isn't something that I've seen discussed here before."

I have tracked down the IP address of the router/bridge with the StarLink app. Quite easily actually.

"Finally, if you have a PC, the desktop genie has a network map feature that can show the IP addresses of devices on the network. Even better, there can be clickable links that get you into the device."

I have a PC, but rarely use it since I'm a Mac user. So, I got it out, blew the dust off, and was able to sign in. The Mac version of Netgear's Genie app locks up consistently and is essentially unusable. That said, after I logged into the router/bridge on the PC, I was able to log in with Safari on my Mac. Strange behavior, but I'll accept it.

"You can also manage "Guest" and some other settings with the desktop "app" for your operating system. This can be quicker and easier than diving into the browser graphical user interface (GUI)."

Actually, I found the browser GUI to be better and easier to navigate (once I was able to sign in to the router/bridge).

"Netgear is trying to kill this useful utility, but for the time being...":

I have archived it, just in case it transcends into vaporware.

"Be warned that the genie installation file is wrapped up in a RAR archive that you have to decompress."

RAR, ZIP, DMG, etc. – all the same to me.

Thank you for your help!

IMG_6742.jpg

Message 3 of 8

Macs are also PCs. The GUI interface works there too. It even works in a browser on a mobile device. The key is in aiming it at the IP address.
Message 4 of 8

@Dubberdude wrote:

Strange behavior, but I'll accept it.

What makes you say that? Seems pretty logical to me.

Takes getting used to, and Netgear is poor at explaining it, but, as I explained, there may be ways to fix the IP address of your "target" device.

Message 5 of 8
Dubberdude
Aspirant

The reason I found the behavior strange is after I successfully logged into the router/bridge on the PC (Windows) using Chrome, I was able to log in on my Mac, using Safari. I already knew the correct IP address (which hasn't changed), but just wasn't able to access the web interface on the Mac until I experienced a positive result with the Genie app and the Windows OS. Thanks again for your help.

Message 6 of 8

@Dubberdude wrote:

....but just wasn't able to access the web interface on the Mac until I experienced a positive result with the Genie app and the Windows OS.

So the strange bit was what happened in Safari.

If you read various Netgear manuals, they point out that various things don't work in Safari.

Here is one of the mentions:

"This recovery process is supported in Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome browsers, but not in the Safari browser."

Certainly strange, but who knows where the responsibility lies?

Message 7 of 8
Dubberdude
Aspirant

IE is no longer supported. I neglected to mention that I also attempted logging in with Chrome on MacOS and was unsuccessful. The issue was logging in, and not browser related. If Safari isn’t compatible, I wonder why it works now, but didn’t before. Thus, I maintain it was evidently – strange behavior.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7