Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC1900 R7000 Router not providing upgraded speeds on 5Ghz

jhex7000
Guide

AC1900 R7000 Router not providing upgraded speeds on 5Ghz

My ISP upgraded my internet speeds from 100Mbps to 400Mbps. I am using an Arris TM1602A modem and the ISP tech says he is seeing the increased speeds from the modem. Whenever I do a speedtest, the best I see is about 120Mbps. The upgraded upload speeds are OK and are around 23Mbps.Tech seems to think the issue is with my router.According to the wireless setup, the router is capable of 1300Mbps. I have an Intel 3165ac wireless adapter that is configured for AC wireles mode for the 5Ghz band.

Anyone have ideas on whether the router is at fault somehow and what to do to resolve this, or replace the router with something different? I am using the router in a dual band configuration and NOT using Smart Connect or any MESH setup. I simply use the 5Ghz band for devices like my laptop and 4K TV to ensure good throughput. 

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
jhex7000
Guide

Re: AC1900 R7000 Router not providing upgraded speeds on 5Ghz

Not sure what was causing the drop in speeds to around 100M but now I am seeing consistent download speeds around 230-250Mpbs, with that number going above 300M as I move closer to the router/modem room.I decided for now not to use an extender as I had forgotten that they impact the throughput and primarily extend the 5Ghz range.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Do you see the speed increase if you directly connect to the modem? That's kind of the key. The tech's are great at saying "its not my equipment, see... my meter shows full speed". But its a bit pointless to troubleshoot the router for multiple posts if the modem isn't actually providing YOU with those speeds.  

So first, what speeds do you get hardwired into the modem? 

Next what firmware is on the R7000? thats another key. the R7000 wasn't known for the best firmware updates. I usually recommend people install firmware 1.0.9.42. it was well regarded. Try installing that firmware, factory reset the router, and then reinstall it. Make sure to leave qos, traffic monitoring, access controls all disabled. they aren't recommended at speeds >250mbps. 

Another point to make. the intel 3165ac is a 1x1 antenna solution. The 1300mbps fromt he R7000 is if all 3 antennas are connecting. Meaning the maximum link speed to the router is 433mbps for the 3165ac. Keep in mind, link speed isn't throughput speed (actual speed). throughput is roughly 55-65% of what your link speed is. 

And again, another point. 2.4ghz is much slower than 5ghz. Much slower. It broadcasts further and through more materials but isn't going to get nearly the speeds 5ghz does. In my area, due to network congestion, i'm lucky for an average thoroughput of 40mbps over 2.4ghz. I can hit faster peaks but they don't maintain.  

Message 2 of 6
jhex7000
Guide

Unfortunately the ethernet port I have is the Realtek 10/100 Mbps Ethernet controller. So I wouldnt be able to use that port to connect to from the modem (or router). Dont think it goes above 100M speeds.It is not a Gigabit controller.

The R7000 is at firmware V1.0.11.100 and is current. As I got closer to the room where the modem and router are located I got over 300Mbps speeds which would leave me to believe I am getting 400M into the modem. Not sure how much a range extender would help but it might make sense given all the rooms are on 1 floor but there are a number of walls that interfere with the signal. I am only working with the 5Ghz band as the 2.4Ghz band is too slow for what I am attempting to do. The primary goal is to ensure I get a strong signal on the 5Ghz wireless connection to my 4K TV. I am aware of the 433Mbps limit for the 3165ac adaptor which should accomodate my increased speed needs.So far what I have seen and what concerns me is the wide range of download speeds during the course of the day. Obviously when network activity increases throughout the day, I am seeing a distinct reduction in download speeds.

Message 3 of 6
jhex7000
Guide

Any thoughts on installing the AC1900 WiFi Mesh Extender and set it up as an extender for the 2.4 and 5Ghz bands? It looks as if it can be used to extend existing network wifi bands as well as create a new access point.

Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

@jhex7000 wrote:

Any thoughts on installing the AC1900 WiFi Mesh Extender and set it up as an extender for the 2.4 and 5Ghz bands? It looks as if it can be used to extend existing network wifi bands as well as create a new access point.

AC1900 is a speed. Not a model.

but if I was going to recommend range extenders, I'd recommend the triband extenders. 

Reason why is the standard extenders drop your thoroughput 50%. They have to send and then receive using the same chip and they can't do both at once. Which is why they drop the thoroughput. The tribands mitigate this by reserving 1 of the 5ghz chips just for router---extender communication. Making them much faster since they don't take the speed hit right off the bat. 

Message 5 of 6
jhex7000
Guide

Not sure what was causing the drop in speeds to around 100M but now I am seeing consistent download speeds around 230-250Mpbs, with that number going above 300M as I move closer to the router/modem room.I decided for now not to use an extender as I had forgotten that they impact the throughput and primarily extend the 5Ghz range.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7