Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Access Control doesn't Control Access

chunkyks
Guide

Access Control doesn't Control Access

There are discussions on this forum going back several years [I'll paste a few links at the bottom], but the resolution still seems unclear and dissatisfactory.

I went into access controls, and blocked a specific device. In the "Attached Devices" page, the device shows as connected to the router's wireless, but with a red "Blocked" tag. It's clearly connected to the network, and other devices on the network are able to connect to it. That's the opposite of what I expect when I put this in a blocked list.

Can I just configure the wireless so that this mac address is completely unable to connect to the wireless network at all?

I could change the SSID or password and leave this one device in the dark, but that doesn't fix the fact that the access control doesn't appear to be controlling access - is Netgear's proposed solution that owners of these routers need to change wireless passwords on all "allowed" devices every time that a security-conscious owner decides it's time to block one specific IoT device?

I have the current firmware at time of writing, V1.0.3.46_1.1.32

Other threads:

From 2014: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Wireless-N-Routers/Access-Control-Block-not-working/td-p/447416

From 2015: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/WARNING-R8000-Access-Control-Does-not-funcit...

From 2016: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Access-Control-Not-Working/m-p/1065321#M2949...

Thanks,

Gary

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
chunkyks
Guide

I eventually contacted Netgear's security support email, and got the reply that this is as expected. Apparently this is a feature, and not going to be fixed.

Netgear should be ashamed.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 12

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi chunkyks,

Access control is working using my R8000. You can try to reset it and manually reconfigure.

Message 2 of 12
chunkyks
Guide

I did reset and reconfigure. The symptoms remain the same as before, and as the previous owners have been asking about for the last three years in the posts I linked.

Please can you confirm what you mean by "working" on your R8000; is the blocked device able to connect to your wifi but unable to reach the internet? Or is it unable to to connect to the wifi at all? If it's able to connect to your wifi but not able to reach the internet, can it still reach other devices on your network?

In the end, a documentation reference would really be a big help. Is access control supposed to completely stop devices from connecting to the network, like other vendors' devices? Or is it only supposed to stop it from reaching the network or internet, while allowing it to connect to wifi?

Thanks,

Gary

Message 3 of 12
chunkyks
Guide

... JamesGL? Can you confirm that the behaviour I'm seeing is expected?

Message 4 of 12
JamesGL
Master

Hi chunkyks,

Let me check on your inquiry. I will get back to you.

Message 5 of 12
chunkyks
Guide

Hey JamesGL

What's the good news? I assume there's a simple fix so that blocking devices will actually block devices?

Cheers

Gary

Message 6 of 12
JamesGL
Master

Hi chunkyks,

Access control blocks you from accessing internet but it is still connected to the network. Can you access the local network resources if you are blocked via the access control?

Message 7 of 12
chunkyks
Guide

Yes. If a device is blocked on my nighthawk, that device is still able to connect to my wifi, other devices on the network are able to communicate with it.

To clarify, expected behaviour [consistent with other manufacturers as well as normal intuition] is that when a mac address is blocked, that it will not be able to connect to the wifi at all.

Message 8 of 12
JamesGL
Master

Hi chunkyks,

The Access control has different mechanism. It will still be connected to the network but no internet access.

Message 9 of 12
chunkyks
Guide

In other words, it doesn't actually block devices from getting on my network. Got it.

Is netgear planning on fixing this so it actually works as expected, like all other vendors devices?

Message 10 of 12
JamesGL
Master

Hi chunkyks,

Let me check on this inquiry and will get back to you.

Message 11 of 12
chunkyks
Guide

I eventually contacted Netgear's security support email, and got the reply that this is as expected. Apparently this is a feature, and not going to be fixed.

Netgear should be ashamed.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7