Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Any advice on a newer alternative to R7000 (25 devices wired/Wi-Fi and gaming) ISP 500dl and 23ul?

mcinturf
Aspirant

Any advice on a newer alternative to R7000 (25 devices wired/Wi-Fi and gaming) ISP 500dl and 23ul?

I figure i may have to reset my current R7000 anyway (which seems throttled by a QoS bug). I'm still going to update firmware and reset it but If I have to go through set up again with that many devices I figured i may just pick up a newer router and start fresh with it. I typically have at least 15 wireless devices connected (4 cams, 3 echo, 3 lights, vacuum, receiver, printer, a few tabs and phones. on the wired side, using 2 port switches I may have 2 tvs, series x, ps5, nin switch. Keep in mind not all  devices are on all the time. I reliably get about 500down and 23up when i connect (wired) a laptop or series x directly to modem. My speeds with R7000 using older fw 1.09....88 are not even half that anymore after screwing with QoS. I do plan to update fw and reset as recommended by community, but again, is there a better more stable specific model that is similar to the r7000? Something good for gaming and streaming that doesnt have know issues with QoS throttling? I wont ever touch it again and will always leave it off in the future. I shopped around here but they have a zillion routers. Any suggestions from people with similar set up that are happy? 

Also, 1900 sqft house single level, newest spectrum modem (model?), 400/20 ultra service, all cat 6, 2 netgear 5 port switches (~ yr old). 

Thanks!

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 2

Re: Any advice on a newer alternative to R7000 (25 devices wired/Wi-Fi and gaming) ISP 500dl and 23u

Answers to that sort of question are bound to be all over the place. We are all fans of different routers, with the R7800 popular with some of us old diehards who refuse to buy into the stuff with go-fast stripes down the side.

Try plugging your needs into the filters on the product pages:

Wireless Routers for Home | NETGEAR

and

Orbi: Whole Home WiFi System for Better WiFi Everywhere | NETGEAR

Then check back here for reports on the things you are considering, but remember that people turn up in this community with problems, not compliments. So look at reviews on Amazon, for example.

@mcinturf wrote:

I reliably get about 500down and 23up when i connect (wired) a laptop or series x directly to modem. My speeds with R7000 using older fw 1.09....88 are not even half that anymore after screwing with QoS.

With that Internet service you should avoid any use of QoS. It is a waste of time and will only slow down your network as the processor tries to manage the traffic.

The general advice is that anyone with a speed much above 200 Mbps will gain nothing from QoS. Even Netgear says as much.

Serious gamers known that other factors beyond QoS get in their way and will pay huge amounts for a router that runs the DumaOS firmware. Some of there are built around the same hardware that runs more conventional firmware. (The XR500 is an R7800 in sheep's clothing.) They just come in cases that are ugly as sin.

Gaming Routers | Buy Gaming Routers Online | NETEGAR

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7