Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Attached devices missing & rollback/reset advice

MissMyBike
Guide

Attached devices missing & rollback/reset advice

My R7000P with most updated firmware  V1.3.3.142_10.1.75 is not showing any of the Wifi attached devices. Most online advice points to rollback of firmware or factory resets, with very inconsistent outcomes. Given this has been a long term issue with many Netgear routers, has anyone had any luck getting the right guidance from Netgear itself?

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Kitsap
Master

@MissMyBike wrote:

Thanks for the tips. I reset the router. It found several more of the Attached Devices, but still an iPhone & an iPad that were connected did not show. Also, I noticed the MAC address for a number of the devices did not match the Wireless Address shown in the devices.

Newer iOS devices have a randomize MAC address feature that Apple considers a security measure.  It causes havoc with Attached Devices lists.  Recently the Android operating system on newer Samsung devices also incorporate a randomize MAC address feature. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-...

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Usually their first thing they recommend is a factory reset. Its why you see it so many times. 

Sometimes old settings cause issues and a reset clears it out. 

Did you try it?

Message 2 of 6
Kitsap
Master

@plemans wrote:

Usually their first thing they recommend is a factory reset. Its why you see it so many times. 

Sometimes old settings cause issues and a reset clears it out. 

Did you try it?

@MissMyBike 

In a nutshell that is why you do not want to import an old configuration file.  After the default reset, configure you router settings from scratch.  Use screen snips if you have a complex configuration.

Message 3 of 6
MissMyBike
Guide

Thanks for the tips. I reset the router. It found several more of the Attached Devices, but still an iPhone & an iPad that were connected did not show. Also, I noticed the MAC address for a number of the devices did not match the Wireless Address shown in the devices.

Message 4 of 6
Kitsap
Master

@MissMyBike wrote:

Newer iOS devices have a randomize MAC address feature that Apple considers a security measure.  It causes havoc with Attached Devices lists.  Recently the Android operating system on newer Samsung devices also incorporate a randomize MAC address feature. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-...

Message 5 of 6

@Kitsap wrote:
Recently the Android operating system on newer Samsung devices also incorporate a randomize MAC address feature.

You can even do this in recent versions of Windows!

Use random hardware addresses in Windows 11 - Search

Grrrr.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7