Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

BR200 VLAN and VPN options

Leatherman
Aspirant

BR200 VLAN and VPN options

Hi

I am about to recommend to my manager we should buy a BR-200, but before I commit I just want to make sure it is going to do what we need, and understand a bit about how it works.

I already have a GSXXX managed switch in place which splits the building into a number of VLANs. I have also installed a number of TP-link EA 115 WAPs. I have been unable to get them to function with the switch (for internet and DHCP anyway) and I understand I need a VLAN capable router to do this. They would also like to implement VPN at the same time so people can work from home. From what I can see implementing all of this, with this router, should be fairly simple, but I have no experience with VPN, and I have had to teach myself 802.1q. Originally we were just going to use Port-based, but as the WAP's support 802.1q I would like to implement it properly.

1) How do I configure the router to use the VLAN, presumably I just make sure the line between the router and the switch is tagged? How does it manage to know which VLAN to use for incoming packets, does it just keep a record of which MAC address is on which VLAN and tag it appropriately?

2) How does the VPN work with VLAN? Basically is there any configuration that I need to consider here or is it going to be self-explanatory? I am hoping that I just need to turn it on, configure DDNS, install a client on the laptop and what, specify which VLAN to use?

I am hoping to do all of this in about a day, but I want to prepare beforehand, and make sure it is not going to turn into something much more complicated before I start. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Steve

Model: BR500|Insight Instant VPN Router
Message 1 of 2
Leatherman
Aspirant

Re: BR200 VLAN and VPN options

Just out of curiosity, is it possible to have different VPNs going into different VLANs?

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7