Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Bandwidth Throttled on Router

jestabrook
Aspirant

Bandwidth Throttled on Router

I recently upgraded my internet service to where I get a full 1GB down 0.5 GB up.

If I plug directly into my incoming box, I roughly get those speeds.  However, once I go through my router, either through the port on the router or through a switch off my router, the download speed is at best 0.5 GB down and usually more in the 0.3 to 0.4 GB down range.  My upload speed does stay the same.  I've looked into some of the common issues - QOS, going to an older firmware - but none have made a significant difference (note, I really don't want to try the factory reset because I have 40+ devices on my network and lot of stuff setup that would be affected by such a move).  Is there any other settings to look into or other troubleshooting steps I can try to help isolate what the issue may be?

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
jestabrook
Aspirant

Wanted to provide an update on this.

1 - I downgraded my firmware

2 - Made sure all necessary setting (qos, Traffic Meter, etc.) were turned off.

After doing this, I was reporting about 4-500 of the 1GB I am supposed to get down.  After having a tech come out, I determined that the speedtest program when run through a browser isn't accurately reporting the speed down.  I installed the desktop version of speedtest.net and sure enough, I was getting close enough to the 1GB down.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

@jestabrook wrote:

I recently upgraded my internet service to where I get a full 1GB down 0.5 GB up.

If I plug directly into my incoming box, I roughly get those speeds.  However, once I go through my router, either through the port on the router or through a switch off my router, the download speed is at best 0.5 GB down and usually more in the 0.3 to 0.4 GB down range.  My upload speed does stay the same.  I've looked into some of the common issues - QOS, going to an older firmware - but none have made a significant difference (note, I really don't want to try the factory reset because I have 40+ devices on my network and lot of stuff setup that would be affected by such a move).  Is there any other settings to look into or other troubleshooting steps I can try to help isolate what the issue may be?

I know you don't want to factory reset. But you might need to. I've read on several posts about qos settings being retained or CTF (cut through forwarding) not being re-enabled after qos was turned on. You can try toggling qos back on/off again.

Also make sure traffic monitoring isn't on as well. 

What modem are you using? 

Message 2 of 3
jestabrook
Aspirant

Wanted to provide an update on this.

1 - I downgraded my firmware

2 - Made sure all necessary setting (qos, Traffic Meter, etc.) were turned off.

After doing this, I was reporting about 4-500 of the 1GB I am supposed to get down.  After having a tech come out, I determined that the speedtest program when run through a browser isn't accurately reporting the speed down.  I installed the desktop version of speedtest.net and sure enough, I was getting close enough to the 1GB down.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7