Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Bridge Setting

datadrifter
Follower

Bridge Setting

I am using R6700 Nighthawk connected to a new Comcast xFi Gateway Modem. The Bridge setting on the Gateway is set to OFF and so far everything is working okay. Should the bridge mode on the Gateway actually be set to ON?

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions

Re: Bridge Setting

@datadrifter wrote:

I am using R6700 Nighthawk connected to a new Comcast xFi Gateway Modem. The Bridge setting on the Gateway is set to OFF and so far everything is working okay. Should the bridge mode on the Gateway actually be set to ON?

If ON means that this unnamed (no model number so it could be one of several things) Gateway modem goes into modem only mode, then that is probably the best option.

If it is OFF, then it will still be a router.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

Sometimes it is easier to put the second router into AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
rinthos
Luminary

@datadrifter wrote:

Great question. I'm assuming your R6700 is not in AP or bridge mode, so it's acting as a full blown router.  Your Gateway is too.  

Technically this is workable, HOWEVER if you have a system outside your home that needs to access a computer on your network, it will likely not work.  The Gateway will receive it, try to route it to your Netgear, and then your netgear needs to route it again.  With 2 routers like this, you get Double-NATing.  

The side effect is several games may not work properly, or some media services may have issues as well.

Also some data-sync (cloud backups or restores) systems can fail.

If your R6700 has more features than your Gateway, then I'd recommend putting your Gateway into Bridge mode as you were thinking.  Be prepared to reboot everything a couple times but you should then be good.  The Gateway will effectively turn into a "modem" when you place it into bridge mode and it's other routing features will stop working, and many of the ports on it will likely stop functioning when in bridge mode.

Hope this helps

Message 2 of 3

@datadrifter wrote:

If ON means that this unnamed (no model number so it could be one of several things) Gateway modem goes into modem only mode, then that is probably the best option.

If it is OFF, then it will still be a router.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

Sometimes it is easier to put the second router into AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7