Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Bring back Ethernet management to your Nighthawk routers

uwillownnothing
Aspirant

Bring back Ethernet management to your Nighthawk routers

Firmware version: 1.0.4.126(latest)

Network environment: Netgear CM700 -> Netgear R6700v3 WAN port-> Windows PC(tried connecting Ethernet ports 1-4 and wireless individually)

I preemptively adjusted the settings to how I need them prior to attaching to the modem. VIA ETHERNET. I can access each setting in the webpage.

The moment I attached this router to an internet connected network I can no longer access the the web management page via Ethernet. Only wifi. It highly encourages the nighthawk app all of which completely defeats the purpose of a more secure Ethernet network for managing your network devices. Also, I'm not big on having to sign up for things and accept term sheets just to manage something I own. Especially when other competing brands don't do this.

Via wifi - Typing the IP of the router gives me the web page login for the router. Everything works(except a few settings are now greyed out).

Via Ethernet - Typing IP of the router or using www.routerlogin.net/www.routerlogin.com redirects to https://www.netgear.com/home/services/routerlogincom/ which proceeds to solicit its application and tell you, you MUST be connected via wifi to manage the router. I can access internet and I can ping the router still.

Which is funny because its documentation sheet specifically says you can connect Ethernet to access the web page. 
https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R6700v3/R6700v3_UM_EN.pdf - page 19/20 same version and model as my router.

Had 0 issues with a previous asus unit with all relevant settings copied over to new netgear unit.

Extremely deceitful business practice, otherwise I'd just flash openwrt but this is definitely a return for me. 

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Bring back Ethernet management to your Nighthawk routers

Mine still work over ethernet. 

Have you tried a factory reset/reinstall?

Message 2 of 6
uwillownnothing
Aspirant

Just about the only thing I haven't tried. Will give this a shot and report back asap.

Going to factory reset. Then reconfigure in exact same fashion as first tried. Please let me know if there's a better order of doing this than:

1. Directly attach PC to fresh R6700v3

2. Update admin settings

3. Update IP/dns/network settings

4. backup config

5. Update firmware

6. Attach netgear router WAN port to netgear modem port

7. attach pc to netgear LAN port

8. Test webpage management/internet access

I may first attempt with out of box firmware to see if issue is same as well.

Thanks in advance!

Message 3 of 6
uwillownnothing
Aspirant

Tried the same thing with latest firmware - same thing

Tried same thing with a later firmware version: V1.0.4.122_10.0.95 - same thing

Literally, the moment this router touches the internet it ceases to allow Ethernet web connectivity.

The url it redirects to, provides another URL:

https://kb.netgear.com/27199/I-can-t-access-my-router-what-do-I-do

Tried these solutions as well with no luck.

I've Spent too much time on this router at this point. Going to just return and find a more suitable solution. 

Message 4 of 6

@uwillownnothing wrote:

I preemptively adjusted the settings to how I need them prior to attaching to the modem. VIA ETHERNET. I can access each setting in the webpage.

The moment I attached this router to an internet connected network I can no longer access the the web management page via Ethernet.

Meaning?

You can set up a router "off line" using an Ethernet connection, but after you have done that you need to start your network in the right way. You can't just plug things in willy nilly.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

Message 5 of 6
dogweather
Initiate

I have the same issue with my Nighthawk R7000P and found this workaround: On ethernet, just connect to the router's IP address. E.g., for me it's:

http://192.168.1.1

Amazingly, doing it that way does not redirect to that site, and simply goes to the Basic Auth login and then the web admin UI.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7