Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Bufferbloat Fix? (R7000)

rungel
Tutor

Bufferbloat Fix? (R7000)

After visiting dslreports and using their new speed testing/bufferbloat tool I always get an F.. Upload is pretty good after going into the router settings and setting up QOS for that. But checking off download QOS makes it worse. I have charter for isp. I updated the firmware today 8/14/15.. and did a reset on the router..seems quality is F also .. any suggestions

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Darwood
Tutor

F is a normal result because a lot of the equipment and software in use has bufferbloat issues. This is information directly from dslreports.Could be due to the fact that a lot of ISP's restrict the upload bandwidth so the extra delay in milliseconds for the upload effects your overall score. I would not sweat it. I have Comcast 170.5Mbps down and 12.1Mbps up. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
rungel
Tutor

I should say Quality is A+.. not F.. I'm wondering about setting up an DNS address.. but i don't see where that would be inputed

Message 2 of 4
netwrks
Master

DNS changes are done on the WAN page, but that won't do anything for bufferbloat. If you are going to use QoS, use it on the upload, not both.  QoS disables CTF (Cut Through Forwarding) and sends your packets to the CPU, killing throughput. Best to disable altogether, especially if your have Internet Service greater than around 150Mbps. (up / down).

EDIT: I am not even sure if Netgear runs the Broadcom version of QoS, or some home grown hack.

Message 3 of 4
Darwood
Tutor

F is a normal result because a lot of the equipment and software in use has bufferbloat issues. This is information directly from dslreports.Could be due to the fact that a lot of ISP's restrict the upload bandwidth so the extra delay in milliseconds for the upload effects your overall score. I would not sweat it. I have Comcast 170.5Mbps down and 12.1Mbps up. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7