Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C7800 & R6700v3

zanfly
Aspirant

C7800 & R6700v3

I have a Netgear C7800 Modem/Router and Netgear R6700v3 router configured with Express VPN. I need help configuring the routers so that the R6700 is  second router. I want the routers to have different WiFi settings 

Message 1 of 3
zanfly
Aspirant

Re: C7800 & R6700v3

I forgot to mention I need to know how to configure. the two routers

Message 2 of 3

Re: C7800 & R6700v3

@zanfly wrote:

I have a Netgear C7800 Modem/Router and Netgear R6700v3 router configured with Express VPN. I need help configuring the routers so that the R6700 is  second router. I want the routers to have different WiFi settings 

With two routers you enter tricky territory.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

In many cases the best bet is to disable the router bit of the modem/router and then to use the router to do all the heavy lifting.

But that would disable the wifi on the modem.router.

In your case you want both sets of wifi running, so your best option would be to put the R6700v3 into AP mode.

How do I change my NETGEAR router to AP mode? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

You then hit this:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

But you can't have everything.

You can also read the relevant bits in the manuals for your devices.

Manuals are always a good place to start.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Check the section in the manuals Specify Basic WiFi Settings.

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7