Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CBR750 compatible with AC3000 Mesh WiFi Range Extender (RBS50Y)?

cmong24
Guide

CBR750 compatible with AC3000 Mesh WiFi Range Extender (RBS50Y)?

Hi I am curious if the AC3000 Mesh Wifi Range extender will work with my current CBR750 Orbi Tri-Band WiFi Router 4.2Gbps, Built-in Cable Modem Router.  

I am trying to boost my wifi signal to my shop which is about less than 50 feet from my house. Thanks.

Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: CBR750 compatible with AC3000 Mesh WiFi Range Extender (RBS50Y)?

I've been told it'll function in extender mode but not in Orbi mode. 

Message 2 of 8
cmong24
Guide

Thanks plemans.  Any idea how the signal stength would be in extender mode?  Would that disrupt any other wifi connection to the house?

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

signal strength shouldn't change. It still uses the dedicated backhaul connection for the RBS50Y but itt just connects to the orbi's fronthaul network instead of the backhaul network. 

I've used it in extender mode with a CAX80 and it worked fine and didn't impact performance. I don't have the Orbi AX routers to connect it to to compare with. 

Message 4 of 8
cmong24
Guide

Just trying to decide if it's worth spending that much $ on something that may not work as I want.  Basically we are wanting to turn our shop into a workout area, and would like to be able to stream workouts to our TV currently in the shop, with no WIFI I am unable to do so.

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

What is the shop made of for the exterior walls? 

Many materials block wifi to an extent. Exteriors tend to be the worse because of insulation/venting/siding/etc.  When people say "shops or garages" many times it has tin/metail siding which block wifi extremely well. 

If its only 50ft away, sometimes a couple hours a burying an underground rated ethernet cable is a better investment for connection. Then you simply add an access point in the shop and its going to have a great connection. 

Message 6 of 8
cmong24
Guide

It is made of metal (basic pole building) with metal roof and fiberglass insulation.  That was my next plan to see about getting it's own dedicated line ran to the shop and set up an access point.  

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

if its a metal pole building, I'd burying the cable. You could do a point to point system but it'd be more expensive to go that route. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7