Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM1000v2 and R7450 Faster internet Higher ping

Blobblob451
Aspirant

CM1000v2 and R7450 Faster internet Higher ping

Model version: Netgear Nighthawk R7450/ Netgear cm 1000v2 modem.

Firmware: R7450 = V1.2.0.92_1.0.1/ CM 1000V2 = V10.01.07

I recently upgraded my internet service from 300mbps down 40 up to 1000mbps down 50 up. In doing so I used to have a ping of 8 (on a wired connection) and it has now jumped to a ping of 24-90 (to my closest server on via Ookla speedtest). The only other change that I have noticed is the public facing IP address has changed from an Idaho address (the state I am in) to New Mexico. In an attempt to resolve this I have tried the following: Checked all wires coming from the power line to the modem in my house no breaks or kinks in the line, Power cycle of both the router and modem along with factory resets for both, Left the modem and router off for 12 hours and then reconnected, turned off QOS settings, Set up DMZ, Disabled SIP ALG and VPN passthrough, Rolled back firmware to previous version, enabled and disabled UPnP, and ensured that all fittings are connected and tight. Even had a tech come out and they replaced the entire line coming from the pole to my house and they showed me that I am the only one in my neighborhood having issues. (all ethernet cables are cat6e and the modem is a supported modem for the plan). Unfortunately I do not have the before ping pictures because the thumb drive they were on was corrupted :(. Any help or Ideas are appreciated!

Message 1 of 4

Re: CM1000v2 and R7450 Faster internet Higher ping

@Blobblob451 wrote:

I recently upgraded my internet service from 300mbps down 40 up to 1000mbps down 50 up.

When you changed the Internet service, did you reset the router so that it forgets any settings inherited from your slower service?

In doing so I used to have a ping of 8 (on a wired connection) and it has now jumped to a ping of 24-90 (to my closest server on via Ookla speedtest).

Apart from this measurement, are you having any problems with your connection?

The only other change that I have noticed is the public facing IP address has changed from an Idaho address (the state I am in) to New Mexico.

That is in the hands of your ISP.

Message 2 of 4
Blobblob451
Aspirant

@michaelkenward

When you changed the Internet service, did you reset the router so that it forgets any settings inherited from your slower service?

I factory reset both the modem and the router after the service was purchased and confirmed

Apart from this measurement, are you having any problems with your connection?

My connection is very unstable the longest time without dips to 80 mbps or lower that I have had since upgrading is 10 minutes. It causes things like Netflix, Hulu, YouTube to buffer several times in the middle of watching a show as well as loading the same webpages (like the netgear community page) to load instantly or take a minute or longer to load.

That is in the hands of your ISP.

Sorry for the confusion I was trying to ask if the public facing IP address moving to a completely different part of the country could contribute to the connection problems.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

I noticed with SpartLight, that sometimes the IP address can come from other regional IP locations, not specific to Idaho. I saw this years ago. SparkLight has regional IPs from other states as well that can be used depending on there allocation policys run and current state of whats already allocated here in Idaho. 

Have you run pings from the modem directly with a PC with out the router online? 

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 
Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status page.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7