Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM1100 & X6S (R7960) - Intermittent "Error: Unable to establish wan aggregation" must reboot router

tiger32kw
Aspirant

CM1100 & X6S (R7960) - Intermittent "Error: Unable to establish wan aggregation" must reboot router

Purchased the CM1100 & X6S AC 3600 (R7960) from Costco a couple days ago specifically for the WAN/LAN aggregation functionality. Everything is setup including the WAN aggregation on both the cable modem and router. For a indeterminate amount of time it will work correctly and then freeze up. All the lights on the router remain white, including the internet light. All wifi connections stop working and can't even access the router configuration page. If I plug my laptop directly into the router once this happens the internet still does not work, but I can access the configuration page for the router (modem is inaccessible). It tells me the internet is not working and if I navigate to the internet configuration page I see "Error: Unable to establish wan aggregation". The only way to get things back online it to reboot the router. Once it is back up everything returns to normal and the wan aggregation shows "Status: WAN aggregation is active."

This all makes me think it is an issue with the router as the modem remains stable. The only other thing I can think of is that I haven't upgraded my internet from 300Mbits to 1Gbit Xfinity yet because I wanted to make sure everything was stable before hand. Maybe there is a firmware issue that is only resolved when I upgrade to a higher speed?

I called NETGEAR support and they didn't really listen to my issue, told me to change my wifi channels, and call back if the problem occurs again (which it will). Thanks a bunch lol. 

Router Firmware Version: V1.4.1.44_1.3.5

Modem Firmware Version: V2.01.02

I had a TP-Link AC 1900 that I didn't reboot once in 4 years and now switching I have had a router need 4 reboots in less than 24 hours!! Anyone have any ideas before I need to return this thing? I really want to get the WAN aggregation working correctly.

Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready, R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
tiger32kw
Aspirant

Re: CM1100 & X6S (R7960) - Intermittent "Error: Unable to establish wan aggregation" m

Posting an update in case someone finds this in a google search at some point in time.

The solution was one of these 2 things. I'm not sure which because they happened simultaneously. I'm guessing it was #1 though.

1. Originally I used the ethernet cord that came with the CM1100 and the ethernet cord that came with the X6S. They were not identical cables in length, appearance, and maybe type (not sure on this one). I replaced them with 2 identical 3ft Cat6 Slim cords from Monoprice.
  2. Turned off aggregation on the CM1100 and the X6S. Removed cord 2 between the modem and router. Rebooted both. Turned aggregation on for both the modem and router. Turned off both modem and router. Installed cord 2 between modem and router. Turned on router, waited for it to finish booting up. Turned on modem. 

Haven't had a hiccup since doing those two things. I suspect it was #1 that solved the issue but I was very particular about the order of operations in part 2, so that may have helped too.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
tiger32kw
Aspirant

Re: CM1100 & X6S (R7960) - Intermittent "Error: Unable to establish wan aggregation" m

Posting an update in case someone finds this in a google search at some point in time.

The solution was one of these 2 things. I'm not sure which because they happened simultaneously. I'm guessing it was #1 though.

1. Originally I used the ethernet cord that came with the CM1100 and the ethernet cord that came with the X6S. They were not identical cables in length, appearance, and maybe type (not sure on this one). I replaced them with 2 identical 3ft Cat6 Slim cords from Monoprice.
  2. Turned off aggregation on the CM1100 and the X6S. Removed cord 2 between the modem and router. Rebooted both. Turned aggregation on for both the modem and router. Turned off both modem and router. Installed cord 2 between modem and router. Turned on router, waited for it to finish booting up. Turned on modem. 

Haven't had a hiccup since doing those two things. I suspect it was #1 that solved the issue but I was very particular about the order of operations in part 2, so that may have helped too.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7