Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM1200 connected to AC1750 r6400 no internet. BUT computer direct connect to CM1200 gets internet

patentlymn
Aspirant

CM1200 connected to AC1750 r6400 no internet. BUT computer direct connect to CM1200 gets internet

I am using a nighthawk AC1750 r6400v2 that was working yesterday when acting as a wirless access port, I think. My son had configured it.  I used the wifi to watch youtube etc for months.  I just replaced the old Arris xfinity cable modem with CM1200. It works fine. I reset both to factory settings. When I connect the CM1200 port 1 to PC directly I get internet. No problem. When I connect CM1200 port 1 to r6400 WAN and cycle power on both I cannot get internet. I used the same short ethernet cable. 

I connect via wifi I get the message "No internet, secured."

I tried the nighthawk app and connected to one wifi channel with the CM1200 connected to the r6400 WAM and got the message 

"ready to connect when network quality improves." ???? 

The app went no further. 

Network speed is 130 Mbps. It says

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: CM1200 connected to AC1750 r6400 no internet. BUT computer direct connect to CM1200 gets intern

If you'd had it setup in access point mode prior, factory reset the R6400 and then reinstall it in standard router mode. 

to factory reset, push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds while its powered on. 

install guides for the R6400 can be found here: 

R6400 | WiFi Router | NETGEAR Support

also, the CM1200 might have 4x ports but its a modem only device. Only 1 device can be connected to it unless you pay for a business class line or are one of the lucky few that support more (most don't)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: CM1200 connected to AC1750 r6400 no internet. BUT computer direct connect to CM1200 gets intern

If you'd had it setup in access point mode prior, factory reset the R6400 and then reinstall it in standard router mode. 

to factory reset, push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds while its powered on. 

install guides for the R6400 can be found here: 

R6400 | WiFi Router | NETGEAR Support

also, the CM1200 might have 4x ports but its a modem only device. Only 1 device can be connected to it unless you pay for a business class line or are one of the lucky few that support more (most don't)

Message 2 of 7
patentlymn
Aspirant

I have done a factory reset on both devices.I only have one cable connected to the CM1200, at port 1. It is either from the PC as right now or to the CM1200 WAN when trying to get it to work. Also, I I tried to use port 1 on the r6400 to the PC ethernet port but it connected with no internet. So wired or wireless, no internet through the router. 

I looked at the user guide and will look at the links you provided. I really appreciate it. 

If it matters, I am using a freshly reinstalled windows 10 on a refurbished dell latitude e6440.

I will do another factory reset on the r6400 and review the manuals. 

Thanks

Message 3 of 7

@patentlymn wrote:

I have done a factory reset on both devices.I only have one cable connected to the CM1200, at port 1. It is either from the PC as right now or to the CM1200 WAN when trying to get it to work. Also, I I tried to use port 1 on the r6400 to the PC ethernet port but it connected with no internet.

Sounds like it might be a good idea to take the R6400 through its setup process.

You connect the modem to the Internet port on the router.

Reset both devices and follow the instructions as specified. The order is important.

Message 4 of 7
patentlymn
Aspirant

I gave up on the r6400v2 last night.

I had ordered a used r6400 (not v2) off ebay to use as a wireless access point. 

I just tried to set that up as a router using the nighthawk app. 

It worked first time. BUT

After connecting the r6400 in the middle of the process the font on my android phone s9+  changed to microscopic and I cannot read it even with a magnifying glass. So I gave up on proceeding with the nighthawk app.I may try again. I may try the routerlogin route but I see there are problems with that.I would like to change the router and wifi passwords. 

Message 5 of 7
patentlymn
Aspirant

Oops. I microscopic font just meant I had to click on the entry to bring it up.

I am an idiot. 

Plus the routerlogin did not work. It would not come up. A common error I understand. 

Thanks  to all for the great help.

Message 6 of 7

@patentlymn wrote:

Plus the routerlogin did not work. It would not come up. A common error I understand. 

Not really.

routerlogin is far and away the best approach and is far more reliable than using any crippled app.

I would never use an app to set up a device.

But not knowing what you did and where things went wrong, who knows why you hit a brick wall?

Then again, the fact that it didn't work could be important.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7