Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cable Between Modem to router Wifi6 (not WIFI 6e or not Orbi)

davidk1952
Luminary

Cable Between Modem to router Wifi6 (not WIFI 6e or not Orbi)

What is the proper ethernet cable to use between a cable modem and wifi 6 router? With Downloads and uploads now reaching 1gb and more makes me wonder what the cable to the router should be.   I have Spectrum Cable,  the modem to the router is cat 5 ...  back when speeds were  much slower I can understand... but now you can get fiber at 1gb up and 1gb down.. but think about it...  a Cat 5 cable max is 100mbps?     To use a Cat 5e cable seems like a good  idea but I do not see anything on either the modem or router that specifies the connection or the cable... I beleive my R7500 came with a small cat 5 cable only.    Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 4
Kitsap
Master

Re: Cable Between Modem to router Wifi6 (not WIFI 6e or not Orbi)

@davidk1952 wrote:

What is the proper ethernet cable to use between a cable modem and wifi 6 router? With Downloads and uploads now reaching 1gb and more makes me wonder what the cable to the router should be.   I have Spectrum Cable,  the modem to the router is cat 5 ...  back when speeds were  much slower I can understand... but now you can get fiber at 1gb up and 1gb down.. but think about it...  a Cat 5 cable max is 100mbps?     To use a Cat 5e cable seems like a good  idea but I do not see anything on either the modem or router that specifies the connection or the cable... I beleive my R7500 came with a small cat 5 cable only.    Any thoughts?

Check on Amazon if you can.  Ethernet Cat 6 or Cat 6a will work well.

Message 2 of 4
davidk1952
Luminary

Thanks,  I will check it out

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

You might even just check what link rate its negotiating. 

https://kb.netgear.com/24222/How-do-I-display-Internet-port-statistics-on-my-Nighthawk-router

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7