Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can 10G LAN SFP+ port be used with a ASRock motherboard that has a 5Gb Ethernet port

thomashilton
Aspirant

Can 10G LAN SFP+ port be used with a ASRock motherboard that has a 5Gb Ethernet port

Can the 10G LAN SPF port support normal ethernet at 5GB instead of NAS traffic.  My computer has a 5GB Ethernet port.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
PauLita
Luminary

Re: Can 10G LAN SFP+ port be used with a ASRock motherboard that has a 5Gb Ethernet port

There is no cheap way for 10Gb Man Sad

You have either use some kind of adapter (picture), or use additional PC 10Gb Ethernet card with SFP connection.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
thomashilton
Aspirant

I might try a Ubiquiti Networks ER-X-SFP-US Advanced Gigabit Router with PoE and SFP between them. Do you think this would work?

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 2 of 7
PauLita
Luminary

Sure.

Message 3 of 7
thomashilton
Aspirant

Any suggestion on the best and most  economical way to do this.  I have never seen the pinout for a SFP+ connector?

Thanks

Message 4 of 7
PauLita
Luminary

There is no cheap way for 10Gb Man Sad

You have either use some kind of adapter (picture), or use additional PC 10Gb Ethernet card with SFP connection.

Message 5 of 7
thomashilton
Aspirant

I will consider this the solution.

I found one at about half the price, with good reviews.

https://www.fluxlight.com/SFP-10G-T/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2Zvg0dGv1wIV2AyBCh1OhQuyEAMYASAAEgLGS_D_BwE

Thanks

Message 6 of 7
PauLita
Luminary

OK.

Now let us consider other things:

1. Ubiquiti ER-X-SFP-US is a GIGABIT device! If you are going to use 10Gb SFP connection for 1Gb, then such an SFP-RJ45 adaptor costs also ten times less!

2. Internet connection are currently no more than 1Gbps, so going 10Gb are usefull only in case you have PC connected to R9000 10Gb port, ethernet connected to WAN, and some NAS connected to R9000 1Gb LAN ports (may be with port aggregation). In this case you will be able to get max load of your PC's 5GB card.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7