Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I have 2 routers in my house and extend my range by buying a second device?

Winood
Aspirant

Can I have 2 routers in my house and extend my range by buying a second device?

Hi,

I have the X4 router in my livingroom, but got a studyroom in the attic on the second floor. The Wifi signal does not reach the attic.

I have a powerline (internet through electricity netwok) in the attic. I would like wireless internet in the attic. What ould you recommend? Any thoughts? I was thinking of buying a second nighthawk and by that, expanding the existing network. Do they work together like that? 

Anyone out there for a helping hand?

Thanx

Winood

Model: R7500|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
netwrks
Master

Re: Can I have 2 routers in my house and extend my range by buying a second device?

Yes, you can purchase a second router (an R7000 would be plenty) configure the R7000 as an Access Point (AP mode) and connect to your 7500 via powerline, With an R7000 in AP mode, you can use all the LAN ports on the router. Also, have a look at the EX7000, for price comparison. It supports AP mode, also. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
netwrks
Master

Re: Can I have 2 routers in my house and extend my range by buying a second device?

Yes, you can purchase a second router (an R7000 would be plenty) configure the R7000 as an Access Point (AP mode) and connect to your 7500 via powerline, With an R7000 in AP mode, you can use all the LAN ports on the router. Also, have a look at the EX7000, for price comparison. It supports AP mode, also. 

Message 2 of 4

@Winood wrote:
I have a powerline (internet through electricity netwok) in the attic. I would like wireless internet in the attic. What ould you recommend? Any thoughts? I was thinking of buying a second nighthawk and by that, expanding the existing network. Do they work together like that? 

What about adding a wifi powerplug to the existing network in the attic? Or add a wifi extender to the powerline network?

Message 3 of 4
Winood
Aspirant

Thank you!
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7