Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I set monthly Data limits per MAC address

ageekgirl
Aspirant

Can I set monthly Data limits per MAC address

Can I set monthly Data limits based on one of the PC in my household based on the MAC address? My son keeps down loading video games and exceeding our monthly Data. 

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Can I set monthly Data limits per MAC address

What actual router do you have? 

You posted in the modem routers/modem section. 

Message 2 of 6
ageekgirl
Aspirant

Thank you for asking. I had put it in and for some reason it disappeared.  Its NightHawk X6S AC3000 model R7900P 

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

You wouldn't be able to. That model doesn't have device specific tracking (not many do) or even 3rd party firmware to support that option. 

Message 4 of 6
ageekgirl
Aspirant

Can I set any Data limits.  Because this is caused by my son down loading Video games maybe I can set another down load limit.  I did see traffic limits in the control panel under advanced see below. Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 9.08.00 AM.png

Message 5 of 6

@ageekgirl wrote:

Can I set any Data limits.  Because this is caused by my son down loading Video games maybe I can set another down load limit. 

The only way I can think of to deal with that is to use something like parental controls to block access to particular sites, and add those that supply games. But be warned that young persons are experts at finding ways around such obstacles.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Check the section in the manual Set Up Parental Controls.

You can also see if the ability to "block sites" works. (I haven't tried  that sort of thing.)

Netgear is making it harder to use the free version of Parental Controls. It wants users to take out a subscription to Circle, which gives you more control over what goes on. The good news is that the R7900P supports Circle. In your case, it might be worth the investment.

Circle® - Smart Parental Network Controls | NETGEAR

Many questions apply to different types of device, so you might get responses here, but you might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your hardware, in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

Nighthawk WiFi Routers

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7