Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can R7000 (or 7500, 7800, etc.) do wireless ethernet bridge + AP? (repeater bridge)

bripab007
Tutor

Can R7000 (or 7500, 7800, etc.) do wireless ethernet bridge + AP? (repeater bridge)

I'm trying to find out if the stock Netgear firmware allows you to put, say, an R7000 into wireless repeater bridge mode whereby it connects--preferably with the 5Ghz channel--to my main router, and then also acts as an access point and broadcasts my SSIDs--prefrably on both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz (though I realize this would require a virtual AP that I bet Netgear doesn't support).

If not, then I'll just go with Tomato or DD-WRT, as I've used those in the past for such exercises. Thank you!

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
bripab007
Tutor

Re: Can R7000 (or 7500, 7800, etc.) do wireless ethernet bridge + AP? (repeater bridge)

Thank you for the reminder, but my R7000 is well past warranty expiration 🙂

Just to put a close to this thread: I installed the latest Kong build of DD-WRT firmware for R7000/ARM processor routers, essentially followed the repeater bridge wiki instructions (http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge#Instructions), and now I have a ~702Mbit wireless bridge between my R7000 and R7500 that also broadcasts both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz APs for my network.

It works darn near perfectly, and I didn't have to get under the house and run ethernet or futz around with Powerline adapters!

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Can R7000 (or 7500, 7800, etc.) do wireless ethernet bridge + AP? (repeater bridge)

Welcome to the community, @bripab007

Unfortunately, none of our home routers meet your requirement.

The settings are only Router, Bridge or AP mode and no combination of AP and bridge mode.

Message 2 of 5
bripab007
Tutor

Thank you for the response--the was the realization I was slowly coming to.

I'll just install Tomato and do it that way. Only downside to Tomato is that it uses inferior wi-fi drivers. I think I've heard DD-WRT uses the stock Netgear ones, so maybe I'll give that a go instead.

Message 3 of 5
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You're welcome.

Just a reminder, using 3rd party firmware voids the warranty.

Please be careful.

Have a great day!

Message 4 of 5
bripab007
Tutor

Thank you for the reminder, but my R7000 is well past warranty expiration 🙂

Just to put a close to this thread: I installed the latest Kong build of DD-WRT firmware for R7000/ARM processor routers, essentially followed the repeater bridge wiki instructions (http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge#Instructions), and now I have a ~702Mbit wireless bridge between my R7000 and R7500 that also broadcasts both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz APs for my network.

It works darn near perfectly, and I didn't have to get under the house and run ethernet or futz around with Powerline adapters!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7