Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't Rename Attached Devices, Can't Change QOS Settings for Attached Devices

cjpattinson
Tutor

Can't Rename Attached Devices, Can't Change QOS Settings for Attached Devices

Product: Nighthawk X6 R8000 - Firmware V1.0.4.46_10.1.63

Hi Folks

Need help trying to solve a problem where I cannot change device name or QOS settings for attached devices. I go through usual process of "edit" and "apply" but changes are not saved.

I have tried before and after firmware upgrades, tried rebooting, but still does not work

I get the impression that the more recent versions of firmware are very buggy and I'm even thinking of factory reset to go back to original firmware that actually worked! However I am reticent to do this as I'd need to set the whole thing up again, unless olde firmware can restore current config settings.

If I cant get this to work I'm gooing to throw this badly supported NETGEAR product out and change brand and product to Synology Router RT2600ac. And likely never buy NETGEAR again!!

Any thoughts much appreciated.

James

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
additude
Virtuoso

Re: Can't Rename Attached Devices, Can't Change QOS Settings for Attached Devices

Thank you James, you are exactly correct.

Maybe "Never" is a stretch and instead, "Not Always the Best Practice" would have been a more appropriate responce, but I do feel that it is realitive to these forums and is worth mentioning.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies
additude
Virtuoso

Hi James,

Minimum FW upgrade process should be:

1. Factory Reset

2. Update FW from hardwired computer

3. Factory Reset again after upgrade

4. Enter all settings manually

Message 2 of 10
cjpattinson
Tutor

Hey Thank you so much for the reply

I am really surprised I have to re-enter all settings, this will be incredibly time consuming. Never have to do this for other appliance I have.

Makes me wonder if now is the time to buy a Synology!

Thx

James

Message 3 of 10
additude
Virtuoso

I agree,

I share your frustration.... I have 75 reserved IP devices and I don't want to do an auto firmware update either for fear that the updgrade will create some other issues because of the new upgrade possibly having new settings and configurations that conflict with the previous FW settings.

It's never a good idea to use a previously saved configuration file to reload into a new FW version upgrade, no matter what brand equipment.

Sometimes using a previously saved configuration file after a Factory Reset just carries the problem back into the router, that again is not brand specific.

In the real world, a previously saved config file is only confirmed good and useful if it was created from a no problem router and is used to restore that router to the exact same FW version and settings....even then I'd still only have 95% trust in it.

So in the world of FW upgrades, no matter what, the sequence I posted is the best practice policy.

Message 4 of 10
cjpattinson
Tutor

Thank you. Very informative and clear, much appreciated.

Time for a Synology I think and flog the Netgear. I think if I have to go to the effort of a complete re-config then I might as well do it with a newer Router.

Keep safe and thx again

James

Message 5 of 10
labatt
Mentor

Can understand your moving on. My Netgear routers were the only ones I have owned where you could not just update and go on about your business. Linksys, Asus for two, there were no issue of having to reset and reconfigure after an update. Have had others as well. The other venders would put something on their site, where you downloaded the firmware, if you needed to do a reset for some major change in the firmware. I moved on to a vender, other then the listed two, and have never been happer. Not a consumer grade setup, separate router and AP's, but  firmware updates never require a reconfiguration. 

Message 6 of 10
antinode
Guru

> It's never a good idea to use a previously saved configuration file to
> reload into a new FW version upgrade, no matter what brand equipment.

Nonsense.

> Minimum FW upgrade process should be: [...]

And stand on one leg and scream like a chicken.

None of this stuff is perfect, but it really does work most of the
time, without all the extra busy-work.  As for compatibility of saved
settings/configuration files, in at least one case, my D7000[v1], the
configuration files are (mostly) plain text, and easy to compare between
firmware versions.  I haven't seen any incompatibility over a wide range
of firmware versions, spread over years.  "never"?  Hogwash.

Message 7 of 10
cjpattinson
Tutor

I think Additude was kindly pointing out that in order to get my router back to a properly working state it is better to reset and manually reconfigure rather than ingest a corrupted configf file, which kinda made sense to me.

Anyway no matter - I'm not impressed with netgear screwing up my system in the first place. Their loss as I have loads of their kit and have recommened to many others, but no more....

Message 8 of 10
antinode
Guru

> [...] it is better to reset and manually reconfigure rather than
> ingest a corrupted configf file, [...]

It's certainly true that loading a corrupt configuration file is
unwise, but "never" covers rather more cases than that.

> [...] I'm not impressed with netgear screwing up my system in the
> first place. [...]

I'm not pleased with the firmware on my devices, either, but nonsense
is still nonsense.

Message 9 of 10
additude
Virtuoso

Thank you James, you are exactly correct.

Maybe "Never" is a stretch and instead, "Not Always the Best Practice" would have been a more appropriate responce, but I do feel that it is realitive to these forums and is worth mentioning.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7