Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can’t remember WiFi password, don’t know how to change

Leslielavender
Aspirant

Can’t remember WiFi password, don’t know how to change

Hi-I first set up my router two years ago, and at that time changed the WiFi name and password to something different than what’s set up on the bottom of the router. I haven’t had any issue until I just bought a new laptop and am trying to connect to my WiFi and I can’t seem to remember the password. I’ve tried different variations of my usual passwords and nothing is working. It’s a Netgear router. How do I go about resetting my password? I seriously have no idea. My TV is still connected to the WiFi.
Message 1 of 8

Sorry you have to deal with this problem. You can factory-reset the router using the reset button https://kb.netgear.com/000038536/How-do-I-reset-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-modem-router . Unfortunately, after the reset you'll have to manually setup the router from scratch.

Message 2 of 8
Leslielavender
Aspirant

Okay, and I then log onto the WiFi by using admin as log in and password as password right? Or do I use the password that was on the bottom of my router?
Message 3 of 8

Yes and yes 🙂 .

Admin and password - to login into the web interface ( routerlogin.Net ).

Password on the bottom of the router - to connect other devices to Wi-Fi network.
Message 4 of 8
Leslielavender
Aspirant

Right, so to clarify, I use the password on the bottom of the router to log my phone onto the WiFi, and then when I’m connected to my router’s WiFi, that’s when I use password/admin to log onto the router and can then change the name and password again, correct?
Message 5 of 8

Yep.
Message 6 of 8

@Leslielavender wrote:
Okay, and I then log onto the WiFi by using admin as log in and password as password right?

No.

You login to the router's browser graphical user interface (GUI) with those details.

The wifi is something else. Those default details are also on the label on the router.

Did actually change the GUI login details?

If you can still login to the router itself you can retrieve the original wifi password.

Message 7 of 8

@Leslielavender wrote:
Right, so to clarify, I use the password on the bottom of the router to log my phone onto the WiFi, and then when I’m connected to my router’s WiFi, that’s when I use password/admin to log onto the router and can then change the name and password again, correct?

That is certainly the order to go in if you use wifi to do everything.

However, you do not have to be connected to the wifi to change the wifi password.

The preferred option is with a wired connection and a browser on a PC.

If you are using wifi, you have two options. You can use the Nighthawk app or you can use the browser and aim it as routerlogin.net.

So far you haven't said what this router is. They are generally the same in how you access them, but there can be variations. Some routers don't even work with the Nighthawk app.

Manuals are always a good place to start.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

You may have done that already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear gave up on supplying paper manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7